LegacyGT.com

Steering wheel shake while braking

jasonv

2005 legacy gt wagon. 150k mileage 
Im looking for some ideas to help with my wheel shake issue. I experience the shake while breaking above 30 mph it’s not noticeable below that speed. New rotors only last anywhere from a few days to a week before the shaking starts. Listed below are the parts thrown at it. I’ve tested the temperature of the rotors multiple times the highest temp I’ve seen was 150 each side. 

4 different brands of front rotors 

3 different brands of front pads

Both front calipers and carriers 

Brake lines all around 

Both lower a arm bushings

Both front wheel bearings

Steering rack (used) new tie rods both sides

Both ball joints

Perrin steering damper lock 

Thanks 

You might be getting deeper in then.  Maybe wheel hubs, or axles, maybe even something trans or diff related.  Maybe the used steering rack is messed up.

Think back to when it started, what was the last thing that was changed or happened before the issue started?

I was getting an intermittent vibration when driving at highway speeds because the ball joints I got didn't fit the lower arms properly and were loose.  So retracing your steps might lead you to the solution.

I was thinking the same with the rack. Crazy if both racks have the same exact issue. 

First time I noticed shaking  I thought nothing of it thinking I just needed a new set of rotors until I swapped out with a new set and the problem didn't go away. All the parts listed are attempt to fix the issue. 

On 11/2/2022 at 3:53 PM, jasonv said:

New rotors only last anywhere from a few days to a week before the shaking starts.

When you replaced the wheel bearings did you replace the hubs too?  This makes my somethings weird if "it's fine for a few days" sense tingle.  What brands of rotors and pads have you been using? Do you do a proper bedding procedure? Do you torque the lug nuts to 120nm?

I do a truncated centric bedding.  3-4 medium semi-stops from 40, 3-4 hard semi-stops from 60-70.

get the front wheels off the ground and grab them at 9 and 3 and give it a good back and forth.  If you feel a shake while driving, you almost HAVE to feel some play in whatever component is bad.

Edited by silverton

I was going to ask about the bedding process used for new brake rotors/pads.  It sounds like an inconsistent build up of pad material on the rotors causing the vibration.  This is normal condition on an automatic 4th gen Legacy.   Cant tell you how many times I had to re-bed pads for customers due to build up shakes. 

I used a Power Stop geomet coated rotor and pad kit, along with their red coated calipers on my 2001, and it stops better than my 2017.

The shop I work at uses either OEM or oreilly brand whatevertheheckthatis, and I don't notice a difference in how they bed.

Edited by silverton