LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy all dash lights are on ...brake and eye sight

• krellmk changed the title to 2017 Legacy all dash lights are on ...brake and eye sight

Not sure if the 17 is the same as the 19 but I've replaced my own rear pads twice without needing to use maintenance mode with no issues. I used a pair of pliers to screw in the rear pistons, then when restarting the car for the first time I cycle the EBrake on and off a few times and that seems to set it up.  I haven't replaced the battery yet, but have disconnected it many times. 

Just like all modern things....try restarting the car a few times, then try clearing codes before anything else.

I'll probably need to replace my battery soon too, does anyone know if there is something specific that needs to be done if you try and do it yourself? I was able to swap our 2019 WRX without issue....and I think it's ridiculous that you would need to take it to the dealership to replace...

If you replace your battery at home, and don't feel comfortable replacing it while the car is running (just be careful with that positive!), when you start the car let it idle for 20 minutes.  This is the "idle relearn procedure".  If you don't do it your car will be very grumpy when coming to a stop and will likely stall.

14 hours ago, silverton said:

If you replace your battery at home, and don't feel comfortable replacing it while the car is running (just be careful with that positive!), when you start the car let it idle for 20 minutes.  This is the "idle relearn procedure".  If you don't do it your car will be very grumpy when coming to a stop and will likely stall.

Are you saying the only way to do it right it try to replace it while it's running? I don't think I'd ever think or want to try to do that...that doesn't sound right to me.  Everytime the battery is disconnected for a length of time or a tune is reflashed the cars idle and throttle learn procedure starts and I'm familiar with that. It's just a little lazy for a bit while it remaps everything but it doesn't require 20 min of idling.

Ill have to read the FSM and see what it says about replacement.

6 hours ago, DougKelly20 said:

Are you saying the only way to do it right it try to replace it while it's running?

NEVER run the engine with the battery disconnected. Doing so may cause alternator failure or damage other sensitive electronics in the vehicle. An important function of the battery is to act as a surge protector, dampening voltage spikes in the vehicle's primary (i.e. 12 volt) electrical system.

You can either just disconnect the old battery, which will require re-initializing the windows after installing the new battery, or you can use an external 12 volt, ~10 amp, regulated power supply (NOT a battery charger) to lifeboat the car's electrical system while you remove the old battery and install the new.

Ill have to read the FSM and see what it says about replacement.

That's a good place to start. I don't think you'll find any need for an extended "idle relearn" procedure on Gen 5 Outbacks.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png