LegacyGT.com

Overboosting on a Stock Tune?

Hello, I recently finished my break in 500 miles on my new engine build. It is a Type RA shortblock with D25 heads and everything else is stock. The turbo was checked and the shop stated that it was in good condition and did not need replacing. I recently started getting the car into boost and immediately noticed it jumping to 17+ psi on the AP. I remember with the old shortblock even on the Stage 1 OTS, it would max out at 15.8ish psi. 

What is the stock boost level on a 08/09 Legacy GT and why on god's green earth is it going +3 psi than before. Everything is stock, stock turbo, stock injectors, stock downpipe, stock intake.

13.8psi is stock boost if memory serves me correctly.  Check your wastegate, pill, ebcs and vacuum line routing first.  If using a stock ebcs, are the two lines on the correct ports?  Is something obstructing the wastegate keeping it closed? 

1st, only log 3rd gear pulls. Its about gear ratios.  Second, somehow over time members forgot what parameters to log.  Third, you are "overboosting" for 150rpm.  With a stock boost set up that is normal.  Control is limited by the two port and pill design.  You are not overboosting. Carry on. 

6 hours ago, m sprank said:

1st, only log 3rd gear pulls. Its about gear ratios.  Second, somehow over time members forgot what parameters to log.  Third, you are "overboosting" for 150rpm.  With a stock boost set up that is normal.  Control is limited by the two port and pill design.  You are not overboosting. Carry on. 

Thank you for the insight. This is my first time using the an Accessport and first time with a turbocharged car.

• Like 1

Did you put the stock boost pill, which is in the short piece of black vacuum hose off the compressor, back in the there or did you replace that short hose ?

Lots of us get the engine off the factory tune ASAP. My 05, which I bought June 28 2004, was on Cobb AP at 8000 miles, Dec 4 2004 just after Cobb released it. The factory tune is not the best for engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Did you put the stock boost pill, which is in the short piece of black vacuum hose off the compressor, back in the there or did you replace that short hose ?

Lots of us get the engine off the factory tune ASAP. My 05, which I bought June 28 2004, was on Cobb AP at 8000 miles, Dec 4 2004 just after Cobb released it. The factory tune is not the best for engine.

Not too sure. It should be the stock pill. The shop transferred basically everything from the old shortblock to the new one, just replacing items that needed to be replaced. Would putting a different length hose cause it to jump like that?

I had the car on the Stage 1 OTS before it blew. I'm not particularly too keen on putting it back on an OTS. There is a shop close that can do dyno tuning close-ish to me. The shop said that it should be fine on the stock map and even sent it to the tuner to see if anything needs to be changed. They said that all the values are fine. They themselves also do not recommend running an OTS.

You should be able to squeeze that short hose from the compressor and feel the pill. The stock hose has a white dot on it. Just went out and took pictures for you, This has been in the Cobb box since Aug 2011 when I installed the vf52. In fact, this has a wire splice in place of the stock pill. (increase boost). My Tuner did that back in 2008 when he did the first round of street tuning. He loaded his Map into the Cobb V1, then updated when Cobb AP V2 came out, then transferred tunes to AP V3 when that was released.

Most Tuners don't like working with "open source tuning". Dave at https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/  may still do it, but I don't think so...

My Tuner, tuningalliance@gmail.com will be happy to work with Cobb AP. 

I'm not positive that missing pill will cause your problem, but it's worth making sure it's there.

DSCN9954.JPG

DSCN9956.JPG

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The log was only from 3675 to 4100 rpm (WOT, 3rd gear).  But boost looked normal and afr was going the right direction.  I saw no "buck".  A proper log of a proper pull would tell more.  The op needs instructions but I am old and cranky. 

2000rpm to redline.  1:1 gear ratio, 3rd 5mt-5eat, 4th 6mt is closest.  Wide open throttle for the pull.  Needs to be as flat and straight as possible. I DO NOT advocate breaking any laws. Do not need all the data points. Lots of threads explaining all posted over the past 10+years. Do a search, log proper data points. With proper data can spot an issue in a matter of seconds. 

• Thanks 1

The still limited log appears "ok" for a stock tune on a 12 year old car with unknown boost control configuration.. 

For a logged pull you need 2000RPM to Redline in as close to 1:1 gear ratio (3rd 5mt/5eat, 4th 6mt) at WOT.  You can roll into it from 1500rpm or so rather than mash it at 2000 if that works better for your situation. 

Parameters to log (all I need):

AF Sensor #1 ratio (air fuel ratio)

Boost

Load

DAM/IAM

Knock sum/count

Total ignition timing

MAF voltage

MAF g/s

RPM

Throttle position

Waste Gate Duty Cycle (WGDC)

• 4 months later...

Ok. Today I have resolved the issue. Apparently the Stage 0 tune was causing the car to overboost to 18-19 psi and cut throttle since it could not provide fuel for that boost. The Accessport is currently uninstalled and the car does not do that anymore. I thought this was very weird but I have accepted that I do not need the Accessport since I don't plan on adding power mods.