LegacyGT.com

Turbo to expansion tank hose burst

Just bought a 2008 Outback XT (sorry, I just realized this is in the wrong forum section, but this problem should still be relevant). 170k mi, fully rebuilt ej25 shortblock with OEM internals from a ~reputable~ shop. Just passed about 1000 miles on the motor, so I've been dipping my toes in the boost more, car has been phenomenal until now.

While driving on the highway today, I noticed the temp climbing above normal. I cranked the heat (which slowly blew colder and colder) and coasted, and was able to get to a gas station without the temp reaching the red. Along the way I heard some sort of popping noises around when I turned the heat on. Steam was coming out of the scoop, and when I looked under the hood I found the hose between the turbo and the expansion tank had fully burst, and the reservoir/overflow tank was depleted. I refilled the overflow and duct taped up the hose to get home (less than 4 miles). Tape didn't do $#&%, so when the temp rose to 2 ticks below the start of the red, I would pull over and cut the engine until it went down enough to continue. It never went above that temp.

From what I found with quick searching, this issue could have been caused by not using a proper or OEM hose? Can you think of anything else that would have caused it? the hose seemed like it ballooned a good amount before bursting. Only markings on it are the whitish/yellow dot and the smear of red. Does that look like OEM?

Also, what are peoples opinions on the engine temps that were reached? It's obviously not great but how likely is warping/damage if it never reached the red zone?

I'm gonna be giving the place I bought it from an earful, but still wanted to get some input.

20221009_225859.jpg

20221010_000828.jpg

20221010_000852.jpg

20221010_000905.jpg

Edited by willisdaye

That's the OE hose, paint dots are from the factory.  It was cut down on the one end that has rough edges from some other damage and should have been replaced at that point and not reused on what you received.  I wouldn't be too rough on the place you bought it from to start, mechanics are only human and we miss things.  You'll get further being nice; obviously make them replace that hose and bleed the cooling system, but see if you can get a written promissory note of some sort like "if engine fails within X miles we'll X" kind of deal.  And then if they give you the middle finger give em that earful.

Since you kept the temp out of the red your engine should be fine though, replace that hose, bleed the cooling system and send it.

Edited by silverton

'earful' might be a strong word, I just meant I'd be asking them to make it right. 

What do you think the popping noises could have been? They sounded like they were behind the dash so my guess is coolant boiling up in the heater core? Also, should I be concerned about the turbo getting too hot since it ran without coolant? I stayed a gear higher while limping it back to keep the rpms down.

Edit: the shop offered to fix it for free and would discount HG replacement if they were actually damaged. No warranty because the car came with aftermarket exhaust, but that's the best I could hope for. The local dealership has a hose for $30 though so I think I'll just take care of it this afternoon since the shop said they can't get to it for a couple days and I need the car.

Edited by willisdaye

Remember to use Prestone premix 50/50 coolant or buy the one for Asian cars I just use the 50/50 premix its good for 10 years. Walmart has it.

Do you know how to correctly burp the system ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll need to jack up the right front corner of the car as high as you can. Remove both radiator caps. Fill the radiator slowly. When it's full and seems most bubbles are out, you'll hear them come up as you fill. put that cap on. Continue filling the turbo tank, leave it about 3/4" low. Start engine and turn heater to hot. Slowly add coolant as needed, leave the tank below full. Coolant will move up/down in there.

Watch for bubbles to come out at the turbo tank. You can squeeze the radiator hoses at times if you like.  When it looks like no more bubbles, put tank cap on. Shut off engine. Carry coolant in car and check level each morning. Only add coolant to the cold level on overflow tank in the morning or after car has cooled completely. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't worry I didn't light anyone up. I just paid enough for the car to be mad when I started this thread. Had some time to cool off before calling them ;)

Thanks for the writeup max. Cars running well, bleeding it almost went smoother with that expansion tank. Or maybe I'm just getting better at it