LegacyGT.com

AEM 340 Fuel Pump Testing

Searched the forums but didn't come across much.

I have a full bolt on '06 specB, and she's left me stranded a handful of times in the past year and change.  Would be running fine and then after a long spirited drive in warm weather, she would just die with no fuel pressure (have an aeromotive FPR and pressure gauge and it would read in the teens to 0, where 42 was normal).  

I thought it was the FPCM so I ordered a new one.  She died on me yesterday after I had been driving in steady traffic for 45 minutes; pulled over, FPCM was hot to the touch, swapped it out, car fired back up, made it 100 yards and died again.  It barely started and roughly idled at like 20psi of fuel pressure but had no power and wouldn't rev up under throttle.  Eventually the car died and would not restart.  

Previously after sitting for an hour and change, the car would start up and run fine for a week or so; this time no dice.  Next day she still won't prime and I did verify I have 12v on the leads to the fuel pump, but its not priming; I'm guessing the pump finally died after 2 years / 20k miles.  Ordered a new pump and a hardwire kit; checked all the connections and I don't see any burnt connectors or anything as others have posted in the past.  

Is there anyway to check the pump inside the car without pulling it out?  Like checking for resistance, continuity, etc?  TIA

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know of way aside from the very basic: cycle the key and listen for the motor to prime the system.

If you had a loggable FP meter somewhere, that would maybe be able to give you a better idea of what was going on, and if the pump was say, falling down when the head pressure got too high, or some such. But I would think that's pretty hard to do with an analogue gauge, just because without being under load and high throttle % open I doubt you're going to put enough demand on the pump to see it working that hard.

Only other ways I know to test a motor involve dissasembling them, and I don't think you'd have a fun time taking apart one of the AEM pumps and getting it back together and liquid proof.....

Another item that could be at fault is the ignition relay. Had a CRX that would not fire from time to time, morning would be fine, afternoon black car in the summer sun would just crank and no fire, left me stranded twice. Last time it just went to the honda tech as I was out of ideas.

Ended up being the relay 100%

These cars are getting old. Possible the relay is just getting tired.

Edited by kzr750r1