LegacyGT.com

WRX with 2 Turbos and a Supercharger

So the supercharger would make it have no lag, and the turbos would would wind up when the supercharger gets inefficient? If so that would be awesome, just plain fast from off idle to redline. That thing must be a beast to drive.

And he tops it off with the ebay type STB!!!

Looks nice. There is something to be said about simplicity.

However, others have said Simplicity is just complexity well sorted.

I wonder what type of things have melted/poped during the tuning process for this thing.

Sport Compact Mag did a feature on a MR2 with a super/ turbocharger set up a while back, IIRC. It seemed like a good idea then... for the obvious benefits of both forms of forced induction. But this? That's insane! I hope it all works together! (26 MPG with the supercharger off? Ha! Is he getting onto the highway as fast as possible shifting at 1500rpm every time?)

So the supercharger would make it have no lag, and the turbos would would wind up when the supercharger gets inefficient? If so that would be awesome, just plain fast from off idle to redline. That thing must be a beast to drive.

Correct.. VW is doing this in europe

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4595/

Combination Supercharger and Turbocharger for VW Golf GT

(link to this article)

September 15, 2005 At the International Motor Show (Cars) in Frankfurt, Volkswagen is presenting to the general public a groundbreaking innovation in the drive sector: The world’s first twinturbocharged FSI engine – the “Twincharger”. The compact 1.4 litre direct-injection engine develops 125 kW / 170 PS and has a maximum torque of 240 newton metres in the range from 1750 to 4500 rpm thanks to the combination of an exhaust turbocharger with a mechanically driven compressor. Furthermore, the “Twincharger” delivers a torque corresponding to a naturally aspirated engine of approximately 2.3 litres. And its fuel consumption is around 20 percent lower....... (more at the link)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Next to redundant in the dictionary it says see redundant and I would be willing to bet there is a photo of that as well. I mean it looks sick but why not just sequential turbos I guess if you have to ask…one clean install as well, nice find.

open mouth, insert foot. :p

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

open mouth, insert foot. :p

LoL...I was just being melodramatic, but do still think there are much less complicated and efficient ways to make the same amount of power/power curve.

On a technical note: I wonder how the turbos are able to suck more air past the roots type blower once it has done its part? Looks like maybe a clutch?

edit: Looks like the VW uses a bypass intake valve.

It looks like the turbo's feed the SC or something odd like that. The turbo's have the MAF right in front of them, so i can't figure out what the SC is hooke dup to.

The SC helps spool up both turbos, then when the turbos are fully spooled up, the intake charge bypasses the SC and goes directly to the turbos.

I keed I keeed

Archived