LegacyGT.com

"Automobile" magazine snubs the 2005 Legacy GT

In their current issue they have a list of "50 Great New Cars for 2005" and you wouldn't believe it, but they did NOT list the 2005 Legacy GT in that list. They listed plenty of SUV's, pickup trucks, and even a couple of BUICKS, but NO Legacy GT. This is an outrage and I'm starting to feel like the American automotive journals are intentionally snubbing the 2005 Legacy GT just because it won "Car of the Year" in Japan last year. What is the deal here? Should we all drop Automobile Magazine an email in disgust?

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='Driver72']Should we all drop Automobile Magazine an email in disgust?[/quote] Dear Sir, I have noticed on oversight in your most recent issue....[/quote] Unfortunately, Automobile, C&D, R&T, etc. have turned into advertising media for car companies with big bucks. They've lost all credibility. I'm cancelling my subscription because they're pretty much worthless. Regards, Dan.

To send your comments or voice your disgust you can contact Automobile magazine at: email at: [email]feedback@automobilemag.com[/email] phone at: 734-994-3500 Write to: Jean Jennings (editor in chief) 120 East Liberty St. Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104 DO It. Do It. Do it!!

I don't know, I still like comparison tests though. Regardless of which one's they put first or last, it's nice to see the comments of people who've compared several cars in the same class and drove them extensively over a week or two period. It's also nice to see the performance results, knowing all the cars in the comparison were tested on the same day at the same track. Even if their times weren't the best, it's at least consistent being the same set of drivers.

[quote name='mmanus88']why are you guys so mad that the car you want doesn't show up in a freaking car magazine? sh*t i thought people would be happy that the new legacy, which is a fantastic car, would be a sleeper and unknown.[/quote] I'm with him. :D A sleeper car isn't a sleeper if everyone knows about it.
-ben

You know, you guys are right. I'm a big fan of sleepers and the more low-pro the car is the more "what the heck is that?" we'll get when we show are taillights to some guy in a sports sedan that cost 2 to 3 times as much. Point well taken.

It's a subaru, I think it's gonna get a little overlooked no matter what the magazines say. How many times have you seen the mags compare cars to the WRX and talk about how great of a car the WRX is, but for the first year or two it was definitely a sleeper, and still is a lot of the time.

[quote name='SteVTEC']who cares what the stupid mags say... They're just opinionated biased propaganda machines anyways. :) I dropped my subscription to them also and now I just get AutoWeek which is primarily NEWS and not BS. Aaahh...much better. :D[/quote] I agree, Autoweek appears much less slanted... plus it comes every week! No lurking by the mailbox until next month rolls around. Hopefully one of the forum members can write in to Autoweek when they say, "write us if you own 2005 Legacy GT!"

Believe it or not, Automobile had the Legacy in last year's (2004) 50 hottest new cars list. Its on page 70 and 71 and shows a white Japanese B-spec. It was one of only a few cars to get the two page treatment. I'm sure they did not include it this year only because it was in last year already.

Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track have all had great things to say about the Leggy and OB so far, I am curious to read their full-blown tests. I predicted in Feburary that the GT would win MT CotY. We will see. I don't see any other car beating it as of now.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='SteVTEC'][quote name='jedimaster']I believe that the automotive press is as fair and unbiased as, well, Fox News Channel :lol:[/quote] yeah it's "fair", just like Outfoxed was fair to FNC, and Fahrenheit 9/11 was fair to Bush. :lol:[/quote] :lol:

I'm beginng to think SOA is part of the problem in not getting full test examples out to the press in a timely manner. So far it looks like SOA have only hosted a few supervised gatherings and haven't sent actual test mules out to be tested.

May be someday they well wake up and find out what they are missing. Until then lets keep it our big secret and make all those S4 and S6 look way over priced. They'll find out...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Guest *Jedimaster*
The few cars I've seen in magazines are obviously preproduction cars and not exactly representative of the cars we have. I remember one Outback XT article that had a car with unpainted sideskirts.

[quote name='axis008'][quote name='mmanus88']why are you guys so mad that the car you want doesn't show up in a freaking car magazine? sh*t i thought people would be happy that the new legacy, which is a fantastic car, would be a sleeper and unknown.[/quote] I'm with him. :D A sleeper car isn't a sleeper if everyone knows about it.[/quote] As a Subaru fan, the reason is for word to get out so that there can hopefully be more people who will start to take Subaru seriously as a valid competitor instead of a faint blip on the radar screen. That is the first step towards gaining new Subaru owners which will then proliferate to greater chances of an STi version of the Legacy and other great things. As a Subaru fan, I want to see Subaru do well because the core group will benefit in the end as well. If word doesn't get out and the turbo doesn't sell well, maybe they'll soon drop it and only allow a choice between a 2.5i Legacy and the 3.0 only available in the Outback. Do you really want that? Publicity is very, very important, and at least there was a Legacy ad right in the middle of the "50 new cars" section to show the irony of it not being included.

[quote name='PPower'][As a Subaru fan, the reason is for word to get out so that there can hopefully be more people who will start to take Subaru seriously as a valid competitor instead of a faint blip on the radar screen. That is the first step towards gaining new Subaru owners which will then proliferate to greater chances of an STi version of the Legacy and other great things. As a Subaru fan, I want to see Subaru do well because the core group will benefit in the end as well. If word doesn't get out and the turbo doesn't sell well, maybe they'll soon drop it and only allow a choice between a 2.5i Legacy and the 3.0 only available in the Outback. Do you really want that? Publicity is very, very important, and at least there was a Legacy ad right in the middle of the "50 new cars" section to show the irony of it not being included.[/quote] Well said as usual PP.

[quote name='PPower'] As a Subaru fan, the reason is for word to get out so that there can hopefully be more people who will start to take Subaru seriously as a valid competitor instead of a faint blip on the radar screen. That is the first step towards gaining new Subaru owners which will then proliferate to greater chances of an STi version of the Legacy and other great things. [/quote] I disagree. If you want other people to "recognize" the subaru, prices will sky rocket. Subaru provides a nice sporty reliable car cheap, I don't really care what awards it wins, because I'm driving one, and that's all that matters. If I wanted to buy image, I would have bought a bmw or lexus.

Archived