LegacyGT.com

"Automobile" magazine snubs the 2005 Legacy GT

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='PPower'] As a Subaru fan, the reason is for word to get out so that there can hopefully be more people who will start to take Subaru seriously as a valid competitor instead of a faint blip on the radar screen. That is the first step towards gaining new Subaru owners which will then proliferate to greater chances of an STi version of the Legacy and other great things. [/quote] I disagree. If you want other people to "recognize" the subaru, prices will sky rocket. Subaru provides a nice sporty reliable car cheap, I don't really care what awards it wins, because I'm driving one, and that's all that matters. If I wanted to buy image, I would have bought a bmw or lexus.[/quote] I don't care if it wins awards either, but I do want the car to be a success. I want Subaru as a manufacturer to remain in the US which I might add is one of the most difficult car markets in the world to operate in. Also, I don't recall the price of the WRX skyrocketing upon Subaru achieving double their sales expectations.

I completely disagree that increased popularity will drive up prices other than possibly not being able to buy the cars at $100-500 over invoice any more. The cars will have to remain a good value and be appropriately priced for its competition. Then again, I have never considered Subaru "cheap" because the mechanicals of AWD cause the car to [i]cost[/i] more than similarly specced fwd or rwd cars. I feel like that has been a hinderence to Subaru in the past, and moving up to cars that have more features and can command higher prices, the cost of AWD added in becomes less and less. It's like trying to make sense in selecting a $2000 navigation system in a $13,000 car compared to the same navi in a $50k car.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I wonder if they're having a hard time selling these cars? I'm seeing less magazine ads and there was a commercial on the radio this morning about the Outback, offering all kinds of incentives.

Subaru will be like Saab or Volvo. Public knows it is there as a niche player. Brand snobs will not buy it. It's ok. It's a thinking person's automobile IMHO. Bah, Subaru to North America is like WRC to NASCAR fans. The rest of the world acknowledges the Subaru brand equity. But wait, we all know that North America is the centre of the universe according to George Dubya. :D

[quote name='wunderkind']Subaru will be like Saab or Volvo. Public knows it is there as a niche player. Brand snobs will not buy it. It's ok. It's a thinking person's automobile IMHO.[/quote] I totally agree with you on this one. Well said, wunderkind. I noticed that, as prestige brand automobiles become more accessible with leases and manufacturer formidable competition in general, more people just jump in to bimmers, M-Bs, Lexus, etc. without really knowing what they want in an automobile (but knowing how hey want to be perceived...) and driving a car that they can't really afford anyhow.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='wunderkind']Subaru will be like Saab or Volvo. Public knows it is there as a niche player. Brand snobs will not buy it. It's ok. It's a thinking person's automobile IMHO. Bah, Subaru to North America is like WRC to NASCAR fans. The rest of the world acknowledges the Subaru brand equity. But wait, we all know that North America is the centre of the universe according to George Dubya. :D[/quote] True, but you have to also recognize that the offerings and marketing of Subaru in N. America is quite different from the rest of the world. The WRX has been leaving a lasting impression on the rest of the world for a number of years, and I truly doubt that Subaru had much brand equity before the WRX even in other countries.

[quote name='TeeLoo']I noticed that, as prestige brand automobiles become more accessible with leases and manufacturer formidable competition in general, more people just jump in to bimmers, M-Bs, Lexus, etc. without really knowing what they want in an automobile (but knowing how hey want to be perceived...) and driving a car that they can't really afford anyhow.[/quote] Can't afford or fully appreciate, either.

I have been looking at the TSX, TL, and GT. The GT do not have HID, homelink, steering wheel radio control etc. I asked the guy how come no HID and he said with HID, the price would exceed the TL here in Canada. The US price for the GT is $2G lower than the TL. Here they are the same.

Archived