LegacyGT.com

-10 F = Loud car...?

Jduke

Hey all.. well it was -10 here today and -5 yesterday. Both mornings I let the car warm up for a while. Idle is smooth and quiet (as quiet as normal for a subie) But when I drive or accelerate moderately (not stomping on it) I can hear some tapping/ticking that goes up as the rpms go up, this sound does go get less and less as I drive more like 1 hour (my normal commute). Yesterday it went away totally by the time I got to work, this am it was still there when I pulled into work but it was quite a bit colder today. Never noticed this before the temps got this low... you all think its just a subie being a subie in -degree weather or should I be concerned?

Thanks for you time.

Peace,

John D.

Hey all.. well it was -10 here today and -5 yesterday. Both mornings I let the car warm up for a while. Idle is smooth and quiet (as quiet as normal for a subie) But when I drive or accelerate moderately (not stomping on it) I can hear some tapping/ticking that goes up as the rpms go up, this sound does get less and less as I drive more, like 1 hour (my normal commute). Yesterday it went away totally by the time I got to work, this am it was still there when I pulled into work but it was quite a bit colder today. Never noticed this before the temps got this low... you all think its just a subie being a subie in -degree weather or should I be concerned?

Thanks for you time.

Peace,

John D.

yea thats what I figured but you never know. Thought maybe low on oil, but just checked it three days ago and it was all there... so yea must just be the temps

Also did hear the whine people in that post are talking about for a few seconds, comming from the passenger side of the engine bay, figured that was power steering,

or turbo making some noise because of the temps ( this didnt bother me though) It was the ticking that I was more worried about... did you hear that al all on the -10 -30 day?

Yup when it's that cold it sounds like I'm hurting it if I rev it over 2500, so i try to keep it under that until the temp gauge reads normal...

My 97 Outback (2.5 liter) sounded pretty much the same when it was cold...except for the brief cry of the power steering pump at startup

Funny you posting this. I was going to post the same thing. I think the temp outside was reading 27f when I left. Anyway, I didn't let the car warm up because I was running late. When I was accelerating slowly and noticed a weird pinging noise under slow acceleration. It went away after the car warmed up though.

Just went for a drive on my lunch break, temps were up to 18f much warmer than this am, and drove perfect! Thanks for chimming in with the replies... must have just been the -10 temps.

John D.

Archived