LegacyGT.com

USDM Legacy GT questions

Longitude

My old man asked me. Pays attention to nitty gritty stuff. According to him, things made/built here aren't as fly as 100% import.

This is actually a very good question. I have had several Hondas and Acuras, and when I bought my last Accord I drove both one built in Japan and one in the US, you can tell by the VIN # where they were built. I noticed a significant difference in how the cars drove, the Japanese one was tighter, quieter, and just overall felt better. Needless to say the dealer thought I was nuts.

I dont know enough about Subarus to know if there is that kind of difference, but they are all built in the US and mine feels alot tighter and better than any Honda I owned. I personally think if it were built in Japan I would be happier. I think alot of people here would agree, which might explain why alot of people want JDM parts and look etc.

I can tell you some of these cars have stupid rattles and some don't, so test drive with the Radio off and listen closely. Wish I did.

Hi, just curious but what percentage of the Legacy GT components is from Japan vs. elsewhere (USA)? Also, are LGTs assembled in USA?

Just a thought, since my 2000 2.5RS was completely from Japan.

As I remember:

Parts and Assembly from Japan = 55%

Parts and Assembly from USA = 45%

It should be printed on your sticker window when purchasing (I'll look at mine again when I get home).

The final product that comes off the factory line is at LaFayette, IN

http://www.subaru-sia.com/slide/main_menu.html

http://www.subaru.com/common/about/about_indiana.jsp

Keefe

**update** im at work right now and it says 45% us 45% japan on the tribeca ...yah i dont know where the other 10% is... and on our spec b it says 55% us and 40% japan yeah another one that doesnt add up to 100%. guess it depends on what car your getting.

Funny:

Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. firsts

1994 - SIA was the first Auto Assembly Plant in the United States to be a Smoke-Free Facilty

1995 - SIA became the 1st Auto Plant ISO 9000 Certified

1998 - 1st Automobile Assembly Plant in the United States to be ISO 14001 Certified

2002 - 1st Automobile Assembly Plant in the United States with their very own, on-site Solvent Recovery System that produces Dry Still Bottoms

2003 - National Wildlife Federation announces that SIA is the 1st Auto Plant in the United States to be designated a Backyard Wildlife Habitat

2003 to Present - SIA has recorded the lowest Occupational, Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Injury Frequency Rate

2004 - 1st US Auto Assembly Plant to reach a ZERO Landfill Status

2004 - 1st Auto Assembly Plant to Dry Paint and Waste Water Sludge On-Site

They got all these records, awards etc for paint process, and how come our paint still suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks???????????????????????

:-(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

**update** im at work right now and it says 45% us 45% japan on the tribeca ...yah i dont know where the other 10% is... and on our spec b it says 55% us and 40% japan yeah another one that doesnt add up to 100%. guess it depends on what car your getting.

The rest is "other", like the Mexican-made keyless-entry transmitters.

Steve

Funny:

Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. firsts

1994 - SIA was the first Auto Assembly Plant in the United States to be a Smoke-Free Facilty

1995 - SIA became the 1st Auto Plant ISO 9000 Certified

1998 - 1st Automobile Assembly Plant in the United States to be ISO 14001 Certified

2002 - 1st Automobile Assembly Plant in the United States with their very own, on-site Solvent Recovery System that produces Dry Still Bottoms

2003 - National Wildlife Federation announces that SIA is the 1st Auto Plant in the United States to be designated a Backyard Wildlife Habitat

2003 to Present - SIA has recorded the lowest Occupational, Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Injury Frequency Rate

2004 - 1st US Auto Assembly Plant to reach a ZERO Landfill Status

2004 - 1st Auto Assembly Plant to Dry Paint and Waste Water Sludge On-Site

They got all these records, awards etc for paint process, and how come our paint still suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks???????????????????????

:-(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

My paint is great. ohh well time to go install my uppipe...

cheers

Legacy engine and vehicle are assembled in USA at the Subaur/Izuzu America plant in Lafayette, IN. Transmission and other drivetrain components built in Japan as are, I believe, the steering column, seats, and all of the stamped steel/aluminum outerwear.

FWIW - If there's a "J" as the first letter of the VIN, the Subaru is built in Japan. If there's a "1" or a "4" in the first three letters, it's been built in the U.S. All Impreza, including the OBS, the RS, the WRX, STI, and the Impreza-based Forester are all built in Japan.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If im not mistaken all powertrain assem. & shiped from fuji

The engines are assebled at SIA in Lafayette....

The cars may be assembled in Indiana, but the assembly is done by imported Japanese workers.

Um....nope....

Legacy engine and vehicle are assembled in USA at the Subaur/Izuzu America plant in Lafayette, IN. Transmission and other drivetrain components built in Japan as are, I believe, the steering column, seats, and all of the stamped steel/aluminum outerwear.

The steel and aluminum panels are stamped IN HOUSE. The material comes in the factory on rolls.

Why do I know this? Cause I have toured the SIA plant twice.

• 2 years later...
The engines are assebled at SIA in Lafayette....

Um....nope....

The steel and aluminum panels are stamped IN HOUSE. The material comes in the factory on rolls.

Why do I know this? Cause I have toured the SIA plant twice.

So the engines are really assembled... from what components... short block, heads, intake, turbo?

Or are short blocks assembled as well.... i.e. crank, rods, pistons, individually?

Archived