LegacyGT.com

Upgraded Subaru Brakes

zildjiank

So I was reading the forum about the brembos, thinking, "Man I want those!" But then it hit me...I don't have 2-3 Gs to spend on it...:icon_frow

But I am aware that Subaru has an upgrade to their brakes...

They are upgraded from 11in(something) to 12in(something), and another in in the back...

I found out these brakes only cost about $650 all around...

However, I do not know whether I need upgraded rotors along with it...

Does anyone know about these brakes? Anyone have them? How are they compared to stock?

The LGT already has the biggest brakes of any Subaru short of the B9 or STI! If you want to improve your braking significantly for little $$, them buy quality pads/lines. It's that simple!

This is coming from the guy who did the opposite, and spent the $$$. Yes, my setup is awesome, and superior to any pad/line upgrade, but did I mention that it was expensive, and not exactly bolt on. So for 80% of the benefit, at 30% of the cost, do the pads/lines. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed!

I think you are referring to the four pot upgrade from Subaru that comes standard on the '06 WRX's. Although 4 > 2, the LGT rotors are significantly larger than the four pot system. So, the real upgrade for LGT owners is to four pot Brembos, as the rotor size doesn't decrease.

I called my local dealer, and they told me that they were the spec B brakes...however, they did not know whether I would need upgraded rotors or not, and yes, I am talking about the 4>2 pot system...

Spec B has the exact same brakes as the reg. GT. Four pots are an option for those OBXT owners who want a better system though.

I did read at one time that the specB was supposed to include larger rotors front and rear, I believe STi sizes, but to be honest I haven't measured them yet. I will measure later and post the findings if that will help. I can definately say the calipers are just your standard issue Subaru calipers, nothing fancy.

The brakes work pretty well though. Pads, lines, and fluid would be a great starting point. From there I would go with a 2pc. rotor package for increased cooling and a BIG reduction in rotating mass.

Or- I could just start working on a true big brake system for the front and rear if there is enough interest. We are just finishing up our Impreza BBK's and it would be an ideal time to do a system for the Legacy.

Mike

________

Maryjane

Archived