LegacyGT.com

Spray Wrap?

Tehnation

I was watching one my favorite shows "Wheeler Dealer" and they were flipping a BMW 335i by doing some mods to turn it more into an M model, and the one thing that caught my attention was this thing called "spray wrap", its basically like vinyl wrap, but you apply it like paint, and has all the characteristics of the vinyl wrap where you can peel it off. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and was interested because I need to do something about my front end. This seems like a fun thing to look into. The pros are its cheap, easy to diy, very forgiving so you don't need to be an expert with a paint gun, and if you screw it up you just peel it off then melt it or boil it or something and you can REUSE it! WTF.. I need learn more about this! 

Anyone familiar with this process, tried it, paid for it, or know of any kits etc? I don't know much about it other the the little bit I learned from the show, and the results seem like fun way to play with paint!  I can't get over the fact that you can peel it off melt it back down and reuse it, thats recycling to the extreme. 

Wheeler Dealers: BMW 335i Season 17 Episode 14

I have not used the kits or tried doing it myself, but I’ve heard people have great results when done properly. If I were trying it, I’d probably read at least 3hrs of consumer reviews and watch several YT vids before jumping into it.

I’m not a great paint guy, I’ve tried many times over the years to paint different things and have had varying success. Prep and conditions are key, but even then getting the coats laid correctly and waiting for curing has always been a challenge to me. Something I’d like to get better doing for sure

• Like 1

I am interested in this process because its a lot more forgiving skillswise apparently. Plus you don't need to do all the crazy prep work, primer, sanding, sanding , sanding and more sanding. You basically just clean the surface and get to work. I to can't paint anything worth my life, I just make a big mess lol. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There are two main types of this stuff.  There is the 'Dip' material.  It's basically colored Plasti-Dip.  Easy to spray and remove when done correctly, affordable, but less permanent.  It's also relatively soft.

The other material I've heard of is a harder Liquid Wrap.  It costs more, application is similar, but the neat thing to me, is the gloss can actually be cut & polished like paint.

Dip doesn't have as many glossy options and unless the formula has changed, it won't take a polish.  What you see is what you get.  You could perhaps add more layers to even out the finish if it gets super scuffed, but defects will show though to an extent.  The Liquid Wrap is basically a vinyl wrap and more durable.

• Like 1