LegacyGT.com

Dilemma, want a wagon with 5SM

SeanP

Hi, new user here. I am going to be a proud owner of a Legacy GT or Outback XT wagon before the end of the year.

I have a pretty big dilemma though. I really want a wagon and a manual tranny and a turbo. Subaru in their grand decision making decided that there was no need to make the LGT wagon in a manual tranny for 06. So my choice is to try to find a used 05 wagon or get the 06 outback XT with the manual. I really miss changing my own gears. The car I owned prior to the birth of my 3 year old was an E36 Dinan S/C M3 with about everything Dinan made for the M3. Put down just over 300HP to the rear wheels. I then went in the polar opposite direction and bought a MB E300D that probably doesn't even break 100HP at the rear wheels. I terribly miss having a car that is fun to drive, affordable and practical enough for a young family.

The Legacy GT Wagon meets all of my needs. I have been keeping my eye on the used market, but I am a bit leary of why someone would sell a year old car with ~10K miles. Is it a lemon? Also, there aren't many around me in Nor Cal, I am looking at two: one in Seattle and one in SLC, UT. These would involve a premium for shipping or flying out and driving them back.

My question:

Will I be happy with the performance of the Outback XT 5SM? It seems all the drivetrain mods cross over, but the higher G/C and softer suspension certainly won't be instilling confidence in the corners.

I am betting that I can walk into the dealer on about 12/28 and pick up a car for around $1500 off the invoice (with the Subaru dollars).

any advice appreciated.

SeanP

Guest *Jedimaster*
Look around and see if there are any 5mt leftovers from 05-I knwo one dealer in ny that had 4 about a month ago. If you go XT, drive it first and see what you think of the suspension-it's a bit different.

Sean,

I just bought an 06 Atlantic Blue Sedan at Dan Perkins subaru in Milford, Connecticut three weeks ago. I test drove an 05 Atlantic Blue Wagon 5Mt at that time. Last week I was at the dealership and on my way out drove past that same Wagon still sitting on the lot. If you want to call, their number is (203) 882-5686 or (800) 654-5354. My saleman's name is Matt Ballaro. I would recommend him.

Mike

get the outback XT, spend a few dollars on a suspension upgrade, and then you'll have a GT with mean ass looking fender flares and giant fog lamps.

a few dollars seems to equal about $2500 if looking into coilovers, links and sway bars according to my research. That's a bit steep for our budget.

Do they really sell 5SM in 06 LGT Wagons in Canuckada? That's a raw deal, man.

Sean,

I just bought an 06 Atlantic Blue Sedan at Dan Perkins subaru in Milford, Connecticut three weeks ago. I test drove an 05 Atlantic Blue Wagon 5Mt at that time. Last week I was at the dealership and on my way out drove past that same Wagon still sitting on the lot. If you want to call, their number is (203) 882-5686 or (800) 654-5354. My saleman's name is Matt Ballaro. I would recommend him.

Mike

thanks man. I bet it would cost over $1K to ship that car to CA, which might not seem worth it. And right now, unless I could pick up a new 05 for $2K+ less than invoice, it won't be worth it to buy a year old "new" vehicle.

SeanP

SeanP, You can find 2005 GT limited wagons in a manual tranny if you look hard enough. I've recently searched though the Midwest for one and found two. Go to Subaru.com and view dealers inventory. If I remember from last week, the dealer in Carson City NV (Micheal Hohl) has a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon manual, black exterior tan interior listed in inventory. I'd check it out if its not to far. Good Luck
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

i traded in a two month old honda element that i owned free and clear for my tribeca the other day.. actually it was 2 1/2 months old. dont be weary of 1 year old cars for sale. sometimes people trade out of them because they cant afford them in the first place.

I stopped by the dealer tonight to drive a 5SM Outback Wagon. They had two 05 XT LTD's. Fawking retarded salesman, god I hate this process. He wouldn't listen to me and wanted to talk numbers before I even drove the car to see if I liked it. Car had a dead battery, I didn't get to test drive as they were closing. Ugh.

How much below invoice would an 05 go for?

SeanP

Thanks man. I might just get an OBXT also since they can still be had in a manual for 06.

I got a quote from the San Bernardino dealer, they are willing to sell the 05 at invoice less the $1500 from Subaru. Doesn't seem like that great of a deal since I can get a new 06 at invoice less $1000. I am pretty sure that milage being the same, a one year older car will be worth a lot more less than $500.

Finally, after reading about the stuttering issues here and outback.org, I am completely freaked out about buying this car. I am going to start another thread about this.

SeanP

I am talking to Autowest in roseville about an 05 OBXT 5SM LTD. champagne. They are offering it for $3300 under invoice, but it needs an engine harness replaced !!!??!?!?!? WTF. I might be back to the drawing board.

The other offers I got on 05 LGT wagons were $1500 under invoice which is really not much incentive to buy a yaer old car.

SeanP

yeah, 06's are going for $1K under invoice, so we need to make a decision about is a year old car worth buying when the price difference (for me) is $2300. I think yes. For $1500 dollars difference, I am not so sure. Plus the 06's have better side impact crash ratings (supposedly).

I wouldn't touch an 05 for less than $3K off of invoice. remember, as we get closer to the end of the year, these guys will want to get rid of inventory.

SeanP

just bought a regal blue gt limited 5MT...$2500 under invoice is enough for me considering i know i want a new car and i don't want an outback. so its more a bonus getting the thing so damn cheap.

picking it up in phoenix on saturday and driving back to sf bay.

:O)

Sean

Someone on this board will have swapped their LGT suspension for a coilover kit, and probably be had pretty cheap. Or go for a Crash victim LGT in a boneyard for the suspension.

Someone here has a lowered Outback in red, and it looked awsome!

Steve, that's what I was thinking for the suspension swap. I have seen the lowered OB and with the flares they do look awesome.

MDork, congrats dude. Take it easy on the ride home. I think I am going to get this champagne OBXT, pricing is good. The salesman told me that they sell Cobb AP and I can include it in the financing of the car. The salesman bought a Spec B for himself and seemed like a pretty cool dude.

SeanP

Archived