LegacyGT.com

Stall/rough idle - disconnected the battery

Hello, new to the forum but a car guy. Car was my son's and now mine, roughly 170K well maintained, new plugs last 3K. The CD player was not working and i unhooked the battery hoping it would reset the CD player (it did not, that another issue) but today the first time i used the car since disconnecting the battery, it dies when stopped or when i throw it into neutral. Its got a rough idle/then dies This came out of nowhere. Any suggestions?

Your ECU needs to relearn. Some, let the car idle for 15 minutes after resetting the ECU by removing the negative battery cable, I drive my car around the neighborhood. But like most of us, I have reset my ECU and number of times over the 18 years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I believe the most accelerated idle learn procedure comes in the form of just letting the car cold start idle for 10 minutes at operating temp and for 5 minutes at hot start with all accessories off, just FYI. I often will flash an ECU map and then start and let the car sit while running for a fair bit before I take off because I know I'll randomly stall when pushing the clutch in when driving which, quite frankly, is kind of dangerous as you can lose power steering (which has happened to me at very fortunate times).

If your car is actually going dead while sitting still with the transmission in neutral right after flashing a tune then it may be a good idea to check your vacuum lines and MAF sensor/air intake filter. Mine only randomly stalls after disconnecting the battery or otherwise resetting the ECU if I am rolling, usually doing something like pushing the clutch in and turning the wheel at the same time.

Edited by Pleides

what type of cd player do you have? the in dash 6 cd changer? Those always go fubar, you can get one from a junkyard for like 100 bucks, its easy to install, takes like 30 mins to pull and replace the radio. 

You’ve got good advice in here, which I’ll kind of repeat. 

After an ECU reset, let the car idle for awhile before driving and it won’t want to stall out so much. Secondly, DAM will peak at 1.0 once you’ve gone into boost and exceeded 60mph. So after you disconnect the battery, idle 10 min and then get the car moving.

And regarding the stereo, if you have an 05 LGT, grab an 08 LGT head unit. It’s a direct swap, very easy to do and the newer stereo is much better.

• Thanks 1

Wow..... cd's , I can't believe I've lived long enough to experience records, cassettes, cds, ipods and now everything digital via smartphone. I can't even remember the last time I even used a cd for computer work or music lol. I really expected cd's to have a longer run, it seems like cds came and went rather quickly lol.

Also the newer radios have the auxiliary channel, that's what makes them much better. That's what I did a long time ago, I upgraded from an 05 radio cause no aux port, but I think you also need an adapter, i-86 or something. I haven't read up on it in a while, not very sure.  I use some cheap bluetooth adapter to hook it up to my phone. Cost me like 12 bucks. No buttons, very straightforward, it gets power then it turns on. I used the cigarette lighter so its triggered by the car being on or key position.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GF5K6TF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details  

I'm all for reusing stuff from existing cars that's already been produced and keeping it simple with aux and all that, but there's a snowball's chance in hell I'm ever going back to a legacy connection to the car after using Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in my car. Best mod I've ever done to the car and the list of them is pretty exhaustive on my ride.

2 hours ago, Pleides said:

I'm all for reusing stuff from existing cars that's already been produced and keeping it simple with aux and all that, but there's a snowball's chance in hell I'm ever going back to a legacy connection to the car after using Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in my car. Best mod I've ever done to the car and the list of them is pretty exhaustive on my ride.

How did you setup the android auto? You have my attention lol! How does it work, your phone syncs with a tablet in the car or something? 

21 minutes ago, Tehnation said:

How did you setup the android auto? You have my attention lol! How does it work, your phone syncs with a tablet in the car or something? 

I used the JDM conversion set which has the auto climate controls separated from the head unit. Bought a Sony XAV-AX100. All works like an OEM set in any of the new cars on the market! If you had steering wheel controls then Crutchfield or the like could do harnesses for you, but I had it installed by a car audio shop.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of this... love CD's (radio in cincinatti sucks!) but having no bluetooth sucks, its an 08 legacy GT, would really love to get something more modern. Can someone point me a thread or youtube video that would guide me thru this?

11 hours ago, muskie said:

Thanks for all of this... love CD's (radio in cincinatti sucks!) but having no bluetooth sucks, its an 08 legacy GT, would really love to get something more modern. Can someone point me a thread or youtube video that would guide me thru this?

https://avojdm.com/dual-zone-av-panel-set-h6217ag911/

There's your adapter plate.

https://tightfitfab.com/2005-2009-subaru-legacy-gt-outback-jdm-double-din-dual-zone-climate-control-i88-adapter/

There's an I88 adapter. TBH I know there's one more piece for the hazard switch but I don't know the parts for it and I may also be missing some other component. I had an audio shop install it all for me who has done a zillion Subarus with these stupid integrated climate/radio things before. 

Do you use iOS or Android? If you use iOS then I can recommend the Sony XAV-AX1000. I switched my AX100 in when I switched to Android but it was a great unit. The AX100 is discontinued but has Android Auto and a volume knob if that's your thing as well.

Edited by Pleides