LegacyGT.com

2nd replacement windshield question

i have a 15 legacy with the known crap windshield. had it replaced a couple of years ago after a chip turned into a crack. couple of weeks ago, walk out to the car, and there is a 2 ft crack in it (starting down from the bottom drivers-side corner). no clue why. regardless i need to replace it again.

i've has such shit luck with the OEM window and the first re-install with Subaru service, i'm just letting safelite do it thru my insurance.

they want to use aftermarket glass and they will recalibrate the cameras. it has to go into their shop for this, due to the recalibration.

i was going to push for OEM but i don't think they ever fixed the design of the windshield and it could absolutely crack again, so i figured i may as well give the safelite aftermarket option.

i know everyone always says OEM only, blah blah. any SPECIFIC instances that you can give my why aftermarket is/isn't a good option for replacement on my 15 legacy? forget about what "everyone" recommends by using OEM.

have you directly had issues with an aftermarket windshield in your leggy that uses eyesight? 

or have you had better luck from damage with an aftermarket on your leggy, vs the OEM one?

always felt if i breathed on the EOM one it would get damaged. had this one for 2-3 years, and didn't drive it a ton due to covid, and it looks like it's got 100k on it.

thanks for your input.

ps - no addtl warranty from subie on it left. and they gave me a $300 check last time to cover my deductible. don't think they will do that again for me.

The dealership I worked at didn't use OE glass unless it was under warranty. I had one put in my RS at the time and it was a good windshield.  One thing you could do to avoid getting rock chips to to increase your following distance.  And when you do get a chip get it filled as soon as you can.  I see a lot of people pull in to drive ways really fast/hard.  Don't do that, it causes the chassis to twist and puts stress on the glass. 

• Like 1

I’ve just had my ‘15 windshield replaced with aftermarket glass for the second time. Neither time did I need to have Eyesight calibrated. It cost $299 plus sales tax and it was done at our house. Doing my car and my wife’s Mini took 50 minutes. All the sparkles are gone. Yea.