LegacyGT.com

Ok so my car is starting to scare me now.

Subaru quoted me at 150-200 dollars for lifting out my intercooler and finding what I found in 5 minutes. My intercooler metal tabs are coming off slowly once again, however thats not the problem. I un-attached the turbo side of the end tank and loosened the screw holding the tube to the throttle body ready to pull out the intercooler from the tube. Well I was given a sweet little surprise. My entire throttle body tube lifted out.. I guess that was what was responsible for the "dying elephant sounds/balloon farting sounds" as well as why i could not boost without making that sound. Here are some pics. Do you guys think i should just suck it up and buy a new intercooler, or stay at stock boost levels over winter. Also is my throttle body tube warped, or is it supposed to look like this.If so does anyone know a company that sells replacement intercooler-throttle body tubes?

Thanks,

Jeff

Here are some pictures btw:

35215956_intercoolertabscomingoff.thumb.JPG.2c932f6556126ec6b24c722000ee56a2.JPG

11652278_warpedthrottlebodytube2.thumb.JPG.9e65d4a0a054f5ea14c32b665f20835f.JPG

837467629_warpedthrottlebodytube.JPG.26dec9a247dd84523090a4038d9f110f.JPG

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I'd be leary about the intercooler tabs coming apart.

I'd check the BOV spring tension, to avoid pressure spikes when the throttle closes, then look into a Perrin aluminum intercooler, and maybe silicone intake hoses, but that is just me. It doesn't appear that they have a compressor to intercooler hose as a separate part, though... unfortunately.

sorry... tired...

I meant that they didn't seem to have (on my admittedly quick look, maybe I missed it...) a silicone hose to go between the throttle body and intercooler, which is what the person was asking about... I wrote the wrong thing...

I was mostly a bit amazed that the intercooler would be coming apart... I know his car is modded, but that sounds like a bit of a weak link, although it is probably better than blowing out a weld or one of the tubes in the core of the intercooler (which shouldn't happen easily, either...)

Although I didn't know that the compressor and the intercooler were bolted together. I figured there was some sort of clamp fittting. Bolted together with a flange sounds pretty robust, which is good.

Archived