LegacyGT.com

Strut bushings

Hey all, need some advice.

I got a pre-dyno inspection back in April at Surgeline. They noted a suspension squeak in the car was caused by a bad strut bushing at the front left strut. I have Koni shocks, which use the cut-a-strut method of installing the Koni shock absorber into the casing of a factory KYB strut.

First off, what exactly is a strut bushing? Is it the bottom portion of the strut where the control arm connects?

Second, how would I go about replacing that bushing? The Konis are just out of warranty but I don't believe this part would be a Koni part. I'm fairly certain that reusing the housings of my 10-year old struts is the culprit here. Are those bushings easily replaceable? The right side one is now squeaking like mad and it's driving me crazy :mad:

The only bushing for the "FRONT" strut is the top hat bushing. So I am assuming they mean the top hat, nothing on the bottom of the "strut" has any bushings. Other than that there are no other bushings involved with the struts in the front! And it is a replaceable part!

The top hat has a oem part number.

This thing,

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/Suspension-Strut-Mount-Front/49229543/20320AG00A.html

Very straight forward to replace. Part 20320 in diagram. You gotta pull the strut, and then remove that top nut. I think your gonna need to compress the spring to do this job.

B13_21001128.png

Edited by Tehnation

I guess it could be the top hats, but they're both as new as the struts are and they're OEM Subaru. I replaced everything except for the shock towers from the KYBs when I did the suspension. I'll see if I can get it up on a lift at work today to check things out. Wondering if the control arm bushings I replaced 3 and a bit years ago are already tossed.

maybe just need some grease somewhere?

If everything feels the same, like braking and steering then hopefully its something simple like grease cause i'm thinking if they were bad then you would feel it while driving in some way.

Got the car up on the lift. It's some squeaky poly bushings. Looks like my right front Koni is leaking though :/

Two and a half years and 20K on it and it's already leaking. Bummer. Hopefully under warranty.