LegacyGT.com

Gutted Downpipe

Hey Forum

I have a gutted up pipe on my 05 Legacy GT. Shop did this when getting a new motor. I was thinking of trying to find a gutted downpipe and run Cobb stage 2. Would this actually work and if so does anyone have one available for purchase. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Gutting the downpipe and running an OTS tune is a no-go. The OTS tune is for a Cobb downpipe which is a much wider diameter pipe. Just gutting the cat from your car won't net you a ton of power because of the restrictive factory exhaust.

Hey Forum

I have a gutted up pipe on my 05 Legacy GT. Shop did this when getting a new motor. I was thinking of trying to find a gutted downpipe and run Cobb stage 2. Would this actually work and if so does anyone have one available for purchase. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

PLEASEEE don't cut corners on these cars. Just my opinion :rolleyes:

Get a real 3" catted DP. then flash stage 2. You'll be glad you did it the right way.

Tell us where you live, does your state have emissions testing ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

At one point, the scrap value of the two OEM cats was more than the cost of a new 3" catless DP. Not sure if that's still the case but it can't be far off since deadbeats are still stealing them.

Makes gutting the original DP kinda pointless.

I appreciate everyone's reply. Upon climbing under the car it seems a though I have another issue. At some point a long the line someone welded what seems to be flex pipe from the downpipe to the exhaust.

I am located in Indiana and don't have any emission issues. Is the consensus at this point just to purchase some type of 3 inch down pipe. If so are there any recommendations or does anyone have one for sale. Please let me know.

Thanks again to all.

Check the for sale forum. Or buy a 3" dp from a trusted Vendor. Maybe email my Tuner "tuningalliance@gmail.com and buy the dp from him and ask him about a Tune.

You can tell him I sent you.

If your on the western side of the country, contact Dave at https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Oh, Indiana... use Mike at Tuning Alliance.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have ELH, STI uppipe, and a catless downpipe.

My car sounds like absolute shit. when revs are going down. there's a range of about 1500-2000 rpms where it'ss raspy as hell. I hate it, but i'm too poor to change out hardware currently.

Get a catted downpipe, get an exhaust.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by bobglaub
typo, rage was supposed to be range