LegacyGT.com

Paint Chip Repair Questions

I ordered my Dr, Colorchip kit to make these shall chips go away. I was going to purchase a small dremel tool https://www.dremel.com/us/en/p/3000-1-25-f0133000az to assist with removing the rust and a little more paint to get all the rust out.

How much area should I remove is my real question? Should I worry about getting back to the metal until I don’t see rust, or I am opening a real bucket of worms and making the affected area worse?

Well, ideally you should get all the rust out before painting over it or it will continue to grow under the new paint.

You can do this mechanically, chemically, or a combination of both.

I would probably get as much rust out mechanically with sandpaper or that dremel, but only within the chip.

Then get a q-tip and dab the chip with rust converter to convert any remaining rust in the chip. I would avoid getting it on the paint around the chip as converter is acidic.

After the converter dries as per instructions, then I'd do the Dr. Colorchip repair.

None in particular, just go to Home Depot and ask where the rust converter is, they should have a lot of choices for that.

Get the smallest size as you will be dabbing at the chips with a q-tip so you wont be using much

lol cool I googled rust covertor and my head almost popped off at all that was availiable ..lol.. and then I saw they yea the smallest size is what I wanted I dont need a gallon! ..lol..

For most auto applications I see people use POR-15

I don't know how suitable something like that would be for trying to repair small chips/scratches. There won't be any room in the recess for the paint when trying to repair using Dr. ColorChip.

• 2 weeks later...