LegacyGT.com

ac issues, how to diagnose.

Out of the blue as spring hits full swing, our AC stopped pumping cold air. It blows ambient temp. I had a spare can of freon to try, but when I hooked it up to the vehicle its in the red instantly. After some light digging I read this is because the AC is not on, and sure enough the clutch to the pump is not spinning. I had fans on max and the climate control as cold as it would go.

My question is what can I do now to further diagnose this issue?

Also can the 08 compressor clutch be replace alone or does it require a new AC pump?

Thank you for any help you can give, its an 1hr 20 to work and Im starting to cook in the car haha.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

The service manual may help.

I think there is a DIY for changing the clutch assembly, I seem to recall that being a issue on here a few years back.

I also know there is a AC relay in the under hood fuse box, the relay is $7.00. I replaced it when my car would blow cold air for a while, then stop. I'd turn off AC, drive a mile or so, turn AC back on, and it would be fine. The relay fixed that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I didnt tap the relay, but I swapped it with one next to it. The ac compressor is intermittently on and off and not very long in between, with the swapped in relay. It does blow cold when the compressor is running.

Does that sound like a bad relay?

Edited by subaruleg

ok so I didnt tap the relay, but I swapped it with one next to it. The ac compressor is intermittently on and off and not very long in between, with the swapped in relay. It does blow cold when the compressor is running.

Does that sound like a bad relay?

So you're saying it works normally with the relay replaced?

• 2 weeks later...

once we swapped the relay, the compressor was on and off. its definitely not blowing as cold as it should be, but with the relays swapped it is currently running.

I'm not really sure if its a fluke or if the relay has something to do with it. We bought some freon refill to see if that helps get it cold again.

The relay that I swapped is to one of the fans, will this fan only come on at high temp or do the fans run constantly? I need to see if its working so I know if its a bum relay that we just swapped to the fan.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

The service manual may help.

I think there is a DIY for changing the clutch assembly, I seem to recall that being a issue on here a few years back.

I also know there is a AC relay in the under hood fuse box, the relay is $7.00. I replaced it when my car would blow cold air for a while, then stop. I'd turn off AC, drive a mile or so, turn AC back on, and it would be fine. The relay fixed that.

also thank you for this link

I'm thinking the $7.00 relay is the way to go. As I said, I've replaced mine in both cars.

LOL, I didn't even notice your relay post before I added mine. I think we can consider this a consistent issue/solution. Something for the stickies?

:) I think it sounds like the swapped relay fixed his issue. But I would like to know if the AC still blows cold after a long drive ?

Both my cars work fine with the replaced relays that I did a while back. I think my wagon had the issue, I changed the one in the Spec B because $7.00.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had the same problem Max Capacity had where my AC would work fine then stop after a few miles. This started last year (2021) and at that time no dealer had the needed relay in stock. For reference the 2005+ Legacy AC relay part number is 82501AG05B, I ended up using a Duralast/Autozone relay part number 19997 which worked fine until now.

I ordered 2 OEM relays so I could replace the failed Duralast one and have a spare as this seems like something that once started will continue to happen. The original one lasted 205k miles so im not complaining and once replaced my AC is too cold :lol:

If you go into an autozone and ask them to search by make and model you wont find the relay so ask them for 19997 power relay.