LegacyGT.com

LGT question

Hey All, im about to purchase a 2011 LGT with 70k miles on it. I want to know before I finalize it just how reliable are they? My base 2.5 got me to 140k miles without any major problems at all and I just want to know if buying that GT is really worth it or not, Thanks.

I think the engine are less reliable than the 2.5i but they are not horrible if you keep them stock or do only mild engine modifications.

The valves clearances in the head tighten up and eventually a valve will burn. Some have bearing issues. Many of those problem happen at high miles. I think you have pretty good chance of it have just normal 5th Gen issues (starter grinding, rusty coil pack in the salt belt) until 140k miles like your 2.5i.

Is it worth it? If you want more acceleration and 6MT, HELL YES! I went from a '12 Legacy 2.5i 6MT to '12 GT. The radio/center is dated, but my 5th Gen GT is still one of my favorite cars I have owned. I have 126k miles on my mine with no major issue, it just has Cobb AP (tuner), dyno tune, catback for engine mods. Even if my engine had an issue, I would have no problem repairing it (I am mechanically inclined)

Leave the engine stock and check the oil regularly and you'll most likely have good reliability. They are, however, becoming old cars and random stuff does break from time to time. In the turbo cars, even if stock, I'd go no more than 4K between oil changes, especially if you drive aggressively or don't spend most of your driving time on the highway. My first engine was modded and made it to 214K, spending most of the last few thousand miles consuming 6 quarts between oil changes.

Leave the engine stock and check the oil regularly and you'll most likely have good reliability. They are, however, becoming old cars and random stuff does break from time to time. In the turbo cars, even if stock, I'd go no more than 4K between oil changes, especially if you drive aggressively or don't spend most of your driving time on the highway. My first engine was modded and made it to 214K, spending most of the last few thousand miles consuming 6 quarts between oil changes.

6 quarts between oil changes? isn't an oil change 5.4 or something? why bother? :spin:

6 quarts between oil changes? isn't an oil change 5.4 or something? why bother? :spin:

I think factory oil capacity is 4.2 quarts, right? Yeah, I definitely went through all the oil between changes, but oh well. The OCVs kept getting clogged up, so it probably suffered some neglect before my ownership.

I would get a conservative protune and maybe do the cylinder 4 cooling mod to keep those valves where they should be. My personal observation from the community postings is the stock tune is very lean causing high EGT temps and cylinder 4 to get much hotter than the others.

When I bought my 2010 LGT almost 9 years ago I fully expected to replace the engine at some point, being a turbo subaru that should be the expectation. They are still unbelievably fun cars to drive and to me have the best mix of torque and gearing.

I had a 2010 2.5i Outback for 3 1/2 years, and my current 2011 GT for 4 1/2 years now. Both have been great as far as reliability. As mentioned the starters do hang up and I have lubed the GT's a couple times. I had the starter in the Outback replaced since I had an extended warranty. The driver's side window switch on the GT is acting up currently, so will need replaced soon. I believe that is somewhat common.

With the GT, there is a lot you can tweak to your liking, especially since they share so many parts with the WRX.

I would get a conservative protune and maybe do the cylinder 4 cooling mod to keep those valves where they should be. My personal observation from the community postings is the stock tune is very lean causing high EGT temps and cylinder 4 to get much hotter than the others.

^^ This. Get it off the stock tune, factory tune is too lean. A nice Stage 1 tune will give you more thrill and make it safer for the reciprocating parts, without compromising longevity.