LegacyGT.com

tubro 2.2 legacy?

well i've had my 96 legacy outback(ej22) for about a year now, and i've came to the conclusion that without spending more than i did on the car, i cant make it as fast as i want it to be and naturally asperated. so far ive replaced the intake, header, and put a cat delete pipe on it, plus a few other little things. so anyways, i decided that i would like to make it turbo. i searched the forum with no results, and am wondering if anyone here has any expirence with puting a turbo on the ej22. does anyone know what parts i would have to get to make it work? and also will everything hold up to 200+ hp? ive heard the 2.2 is a strong engine. any help would be greatly appeciated.

wanna trade for a 2.5? lol. my dads got a 2.5 legacy on his car lot that isn't running right now, and were looking for a new engine to put in it(perhaps my 2.2). it think the timing belt sliped, and it made some bad slaping noises, but if someone was to hop it up anyways it wouldnt matter. its not mine to sell/trade, but were trying to find something to do with it. $900 is a little too much for me to spend right now.

well anyways guys, im not looking for a complete engine anyways. i would like to just buy the turbo, exhaust piping, intake and possibly an intercooler, and anything else i need to make my car turbo. i think for less than $900 i could just buy a complete car and take off the turbo parts then sell the car for parts.

• 1 month later...

I have top mount intercooler and turbo from a AU spec car that I was going to use on my '92 Turbo Leg before the crash.... It's not a direct bolt-on though.

Let me know if your interested, I can take some pics.

I have top mount intercooler and turbo from a AU spec car that I was going to use on my '92 Turbo Leg before the crash.... It's not a direct bolt-on though.

Let me know if your interested, I can take some pics.

A bit off topic, but S*** I hope you are alright Pete after a wreck like that.

createdtodestroy, are you sure you have an EJ22? The 2.5 litre engine is the EJ25

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Thanks guys, when the cop arrived at the scene he asked my what kind of car it was! I told him it was a Sube, he said I was lucky as they crash real well. Thats what it looks like when some wanker crosses the center-line at 65mph. Four months vacation and some perminent hardware holding my right ankle together.

Shiv Patrick from Sport Compact Car did a good write-up about adding a turbo to a 2.5RS, 8 to 9 pounds of boost if I remember correctly?

I found this info in the Aug '99 issue of SCC:

'98 2.5RS = twin cam motor

8 psi boost

Max power gain: 87 hp @ 5500 rpm

Max torque gain: 86 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

I think they did eventually get over 300hp "IF" my memory serves correctly?

A bit off topic, but S*** I hope you are alright Pete after a wreck like that.

createdtodestroy, are you sure you have an EJ22? The 2.5 litre engine is the EJ25

yes i do have a 2.2 it is clearly stamped on the engine plate. the 2.5 i was refering to is in another car that has a really bad knock and hardly runs rigt now.

i have decided not to make my car turbo. for less money i can buy an old caprice(sp?) and just beat the crap out of it, which i would find way more fun than making my car faster. plus for an everyday driver it would suck to use that much more gas and have to worry about something going wrong. im kinda trying to decide on what to choose as a project car though. right now its between a s-10 or something comparible to build a baja style truck or just a caprice or something to build a beater, dukes of hazzard style with a roll cage and welded shut doors and such. thanks everyone for you help, sorry to hear about your car AWDPete.

• 3 weeks later...
sorry to revive an old thread, but I have always been told that the EJ22 cannot take boost without some other serious mods to the engine. Without those mods the engine grenades... I have heard of people literally shatering their forth cylinder because it was running lean and got way too hot. I see now that you are not going to go turbo, but this is a reference to anyone else that is thinking to boost a NA EJ22. The NA EJ25 can handle a small amount of boost, but the EJ22 just can't take it. If you want to go turbo, best way is to swap the whole enigine so you know what you are working with. The EJ22T out of the early 90's Legacy's is the best route IMO. That engine is closed deck and can handle some serious HP, given the right amount of money. Of course, it would be easier to find an older WRX engine to do the same thing. ;)

the 2.2 is suposedly a strong block, which it should be because its the same as the 2.5 but not bored out as far. if im right the stock connecting rods are forged so it should be able to handle a fair amount of boost. if someone was going to do it, it might be a good idea to either put a thicker head gasket on, or get lower compression pistons. you can fix the fuel mixture by getting a fuel controller, like an apexi, that should be done with any major mod.

• 2 weeks later...
the 2.2 is suposedly a strong block, which it should be because its the same as the 2.5 but not bored out as far. if im right the stock connecting rods are forged so it should be able to handle a fair amount of boost. if someone was going to do it, it might be a good idea to either put a thicker head gasket on, or get lower compression pistons. you can fix the fuel mixture by getting a fuel controller, like an apexi, that should be done with any major mod.

the 2.2 block is one of the strongest, if not the strongest block subaru has ever made. the internals of the ej22 can't take much psi. if you get aftermarket internals or even the ej22t internals you will be able to handle well over 14psi for a long time

Archived