LegacyGT.com

Hard time finding steering rack interchanges

Hello all! It's been quite some time but I'm back with a situation that has genuinely stumped me. The car is a 2008 legacy spec b, fully built, heavily modified, new block so nothing engine related. Anyways I'm looking for a steering rack as mine is starting to leak pretty badly. I've called 3 subaru dealerships now and I have gotten different answers each time or options just over 1,100$. I've managed to boil down the following parts numbers

34110AG07A (spec b rack)

34110AG06A (legacy gt rack)

34110AG05A (OB and legacy racks)

I may have the info a little skewed but I believe those are the racks for those particular cars. The spec b rack is in stock but extremely expensive.

I'm able to find reman legacy gt racks for a fraction of the price but I can't seem to figure out if there will be any issues from me changing racks. I know the spec b rack has bump stops to clear the larger wheel option the cars came with but other than that is there any other difference than the legacy gt rack?

I've also seen people mention to upgrade to a 2015 sti rack but I have no idea if it will bolt up and I also have seen people mention that the improper ratio will cause issues with the VDC system on the car as it uses a steering angle sensor? I have no idea how much truth there is to this statement but any clarification is greatly appreciated. Ideally I'm looking for a solid replacement that will perform just as well as the old rack but actually fits and is relatively affordable

I would suggest the STI rack. I can tell you first-hand it fit my 2008 Legacy GT perfectly fine. Check out this thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/underdog-motorsports-2015-sti-steering-rack-swap-234351.html?t=234351&highlight=underdog+sti

My Legacy has VDC and I've had no issues with it getting confused with the quicker ratio. This appears to mainly be an issue with the Outbacks since they have a slower rack than our stock Legacy ones do. It was an awesome upgrade and worth every penny since my rack was leaking badly as well and needed replaced anyways. Part # is 34110VA121. It can be found for under $800 delivered last time I checked.

While the tie-rod threaded ends are a little longer, getting the following jam nuts to use as replacement for the OEM ones helps getting more adjustment for alignment: https://www.mcmaster.com/91938A130/. My alignment guy had no problem dialing in my car to my requested alignment using these jam nuts.

Thank you for the info!

I know the spec b has a quicker ratio than the legacy gt and equivalent to that of an sti of the same age at 2.6 turns I believe while the LGT is 2.8? From what I was reading that 2015+ rack is a 2.4 turn so we are looking at a 0.2 difference either way.

I'm feeling really lazy after this engine build so I did plan on just taking it in to my local suspension shop that does my alignments. They said they would install and align it for 350$ so I'll take it.

With that said, I'm curious on the sti rack. From that forum it says at minimum I need just the rack but optionally you grind the inner tie rods? Did you end up doing that? Were you able to align the car properly without doing it? I usually get an alignment and just request -2° of camber as the car is lowered and driven pretty aggressively. Just trying to figure out if this is something I can just buy and take to the shop and they can put it in without calling me saying it won't fit

I'm also wondering how much of a difference this will all really make. I can pick up a 08 legacy gt rack (2.8 turns as opposed to my 2.6) for about 130$. The sti rack looks like I can find for around 600$ and it's running 2.4 turns as opposed to my 2.6. Are any of these big enough changes for me to really notice? With the price difference if they changes are pretty small I may lean towards the legacy gt rack but if a 0.2 difference is super noticeable then I may try and make it work

I'd never heard the specB rack was truly different. Half of me wonders why there haven't been a bajillion people going on about the better SpecB rack the same way they go on about the aluminum suspension links and stuff. We only just found out about the STi rack a few years ago, but the specB racks have been out way longer. I can't say I remember that swap being as well known an upgrade as say a 6sp swap.

Anyway it sounds like the STi is probably the best best option for you right now. It's cheaper than the specB rack you found and noticeably quicker than the GT. That GT rack would probably function just fine as a replacement if all you're concerned about is leaking. Steering would get a smidgen easier and more relaxed if the GT rack is in fact slower the specB. But if the specB rack is in fact quicker, than the improvement from installing an STi rack would be only as marginal as the change in switching to GT, just marginal in the other direction.

I say go STi because it's a new part, cheaper than specB direct replacement and a known improvement.

That's actually what I thought as well I was under the impression that the racks were the same but the spec b has these bump stops on the rack to prevent steering too sharply and rubbing due to the larger wheels? I called 3 different subaru dealerships and got a different part number and answer each time hence coming here lol

Does anybody know for sure if the spec b does in fact have a quicker ratio or if they are the same as the legacy gt? They are different part numbers but if they are the same ratio then that would indeed change which direction I may be going.

Thank you all for the information of course I really appreciate it!

If you look at the specs in the service manual you will see that the Spec B is fewer turns lock to lock , but it also has a shallower turning angle if you do the maths you will find the reduction in turns, as a percentage, is about the same as the reduction in steering angle. I don’t believe the Spec B rack is any quicker than the GT, just snubbed, presumably for the larger wheels.

Okay perfect thank you much for the info everybody. I was suspecting something was different but just wasn't sure what. I work at a subaru repair shop and driving the various legacy gts I didn't really notice a huge difference

To be clear, I did not need to trim my threads and achieved -1.2° camber with only using the thinner jam nuts (I'm also lowered on K&N springs and Koni yellow shocks). It is worth noting I am running the Whiteline roll-center kit which includes custom tie-rod ends. These may be drilled and tapped a little deeper than the OEM tie-rod ends which allowed me to get the camber I was looking for.

I’m running the 2015 STI rack. the STi rack has a better on center feel and a heavier sportier feel than the Outback rack and my previous LGT’s rack. It really begs you to do things you shouldn’t on public roads. It even bolts right up without any BS. That said you will need an STI power steering pump as it puts out more pressure than the factory LGT pump.

I also recommend the STI swap. I don't really notice it turning better, but I do have to make a U Turn on the way to work, and with the old specB rack it usually ended up being a 3 point turn, but with the STI rack I can make it a regular U Turn with space to spare.

I kept the specB pump and didn't need to switch to the STI power steering pump.

You might wanna consider replacing the O Ring on the top of the pump at this point since it's probably baked and if it isn't already leaking, it's gonna start leaking soon.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited