LegacyGT.com

Differential fluid

Hey folks,

After an exhausting search and conflicting information, I figured I would put a post.

I'm changing the diff fluids on my 06 spec, with redline 75-90. I've contacted flatiron tuning and redline directly. Flatirons says I need the NS version for front and rear, but redline says NS for the front and standard for the rear.

Im lost in the world of fluids and I need help!

Thanks for taking the time reading this. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Edited by Spec-Beast

Didn't I tell you Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff for these.

Amsoil Severgear is also good, but I stopped using that years ago. Others have had good luck with it. I also use Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic doing 7000-8000 mile oil changes after hearing back from Blackstone Labs. I have a preferred customer # with them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Didn't I tell you Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff for these.

Amsoil Severgear is also good, but I stopped using that years ago. Others have had good luck with it. I also use Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic doing 7000-8000 mile oil changes after hearing back from Blackstone Labs. I have a preferred customer # with them.

I appreciate the input. I would hate to alienate you because your advice is invaluable. My ex lockheed-martin engineer father in law almost demanded me to try it. I told him I would, but if I don't like the feel then I'll switch to motul.

Well, the great diff fluid saga continues.

I encountered a few issues. The rear drain plug was seized , so I sucked out what I could through the fill hole, it took about .6 quarts, so it looks like I couldn't get it all.

The front plug came out fine but when filling back up I dropped and cracked a whole bottle of fluid. So now I'm waiting for NAPA to open so I can top it off woth some liqui moly 75-90.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who advised me on the rear drain plug. I could have been in a way worse "tow to the shop" situation.

Cautionary tale to all the kids who think "safety glasses are optional". I've been working on my cars and motorcycles for years and rarely put on safety glasses. Well yesterday I took a full shot of brake cleaner to the eye after it bounced back on me. I thought I was off enought to the side to avoid it. WRONG! talk about pain! Luckily I was pretty close to running water,so I flushed it for a good 5 minutes. Pain lingered through the rest of the job, but no damage done.

Be safe out there people. Use your jack stands and your eye wear.

Edited by Spec-Beast

Some of us have to wear glasses no matter what. But until I was in my early 40's, like most, I didn't wear them.

Glad you got the fluids changed, what's next ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Some of us have to wear glasses no matter what. But until I was in my early 40's, like most, I didn't wear them.

Glad you got the fluids changed, what's next ?

Spark plugs , serp belt. Then once the important stuff is done it will make it's way to Boostcreep in Longmont, CO for a dyno tune.

I also found the source of my slight coolant smell after driving. I have two very small leaks, one is leading to the expansion tank and the other one (same size) just below the radiator. I'll probably fix those and do a flush while I'm at it

BTW getting the car level was a nightmare there in Colorado.

Edited by Spec-Beast

I hear you on the eye protection and such. Fun fact, pb blaster to the eyes stings, bad. My finger was only partially covering the top of the can years ago, and for some reason it shot straight up out of the nozzle, instead of going forward through the straw. Not as bad as brake clean I'm sure, but no fun.

I remember my rear diff drain plug was always a pita, probably would be 100x easier with a lift where you can get better access to it.

Spark plugs , serp belt. Then once the important stuff is done it will make it's way to Boostcreep in Longmont, CO for a dyno tune.

BTW getting the car level was a nightmare there in Colorado.

There is a DIY for spark plugs here in the Walk through DIY forums.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spark-plug-install-instructions-12070.html

With proper tools, it's easier then it sounds. FYI, you don't need to the connectors from the coils, I left them attached to the coils. The old plastic can break.

Funny, today I got an email from Global Industrial, talking about safety glasses... not that the web monitors things...

Funny, today I got an email from Global Industrial, talking about safety glasses... not that the web monitors things...
Just like how I get ads for whole home water filter systems. I've only spoke to my wife about it a couple of times. I've never looked anything up [emoji89][emoji89]