LegacyGT.com

Custom intake port?

Who has made a custom intake port to suck air from outside the front bumper and directly into a box for cool, clean air not coming from around a v hot engine? My car is pushing 194k and I've had it for over a decade and I'm ready to play with it a lil without worrying about messing it up.

Thinking about creating a port underneath the headlight on the passenger side and piping to a sealed box. I've seen this done on other cars, but hard to find info on the '07 leggys.

Thanks!

Who has made a custom intake port to suck air from outside the front bumper and directly into a box for cool, clean air not coming from around a v hot engine? My car is pushing 194k and I've had it for over a decade and I'm ready to play with it a lil without worrying about messing it up.

Thinking about creating a port underneath the headlight on the passenger side and piping to a sealed box. I've seen this done on other cars, but hard to find info on the '07 leggys.

Thanks!

You do realize, the car came with a very good cold air intake... ?

Unless your making well over 350whp, the stock 0ne is fine.

DSCN9438.thumb.JPG.43b8ddb549f165e597736dc1a10a2974.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I saw some use a really slick square shaped scoop and 4 inch duct to run air to cool brakes.

I thought about using the same setup to feed a sealed intake box.

Bet boxita did it or remembers who did

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

race wagon link has the ultimate cai.

However as Max says, useless under 400hp. Most do it for the increased noise and more challenging tuning.

madrig makes a carbon fiber snorkel if you need bling. I did. My car is lighter thus faster. your speeding tickets are your problem.

V tru! I forgot about that, but also have a AEM CAI that I modified the box on when Phatron tuned it back in the day. Currently don't have any stock parts to modify. I'll look into it.

You do realize, the car came with a very good cold air intake... ?

Unless your making well over 350whp, the stock 0ne is fine.

[ATTACH]295846[/ATTACH]

Thanks everyone for the help. It's been fine so far, but i know it's sucking hot air some. Just want it cooler.
If it makes you feel any better , I want to do the exact thing at some point even though I know it will make absolutely no difference

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

This is a common thread. Everyone thinks a cai is a good upgrade because it works on other brands. Also marketing by cai sellers is very good. It's your money and your car. ymmv.

However, facts and science suck. The stock intake system is really good. The stock snorkel is an excellent design. Plastic doesn't heat soak. The stock design has been well-tested on track, on road, off road.

Any design that uses the stock air box location is, well, using the stock design. If you want "colder" air, you'll need to change the stock air intake location, which currently is in front of the radiator in free air.

So your choices become:

1. Stock location (good for 350+)
  2. Engine bay (common aftermarket solution)
  3. fog light pocket
  4. headlight replacement
  5. hole in hood
  6. hole in fender
  7. hole in undertray

Many alternative locations suffer from environmental issues. Dust, rain, sand, dirt, tire rubber, oil, grease, birds, bugs. None of which improve turbo performance.

The race wagon uses the headlight solution. Colder air was more prevalent. However, the big cap at the front became a requirement because environmental issues.

All the turbo needs is constant air flow. Ambient temperature is pretty close to turbo inlet temperature. If you truly wanted a cai, you could run intake air through an intercooler.

fog light pocket is normal location of brake duct inlet. Oddly enough is great upgrade for your braking system. Race wagon uses this system very effectively. Other conversions use it too.

Best of luck. Post up your solution.