LegacyGT.com

Replacing Battery Cables

Hi everybody.

I got a question for the hivemind. So two years ago, my battery terminals were giving out and so I snipped them off and used those bolt down ones I've attached an image of. Now that's been fine and all for those two years but I have to do some wiring for my JDM power folding mirrors and the HID leveling motors. Looked at the connectors and the copper is extremely corroded from winters here in the Great White North. If I chop off any more wire, I won't have enough to make it to the terminal. So I decided to look into making my own. I have a hydraulic crimper and no stranger to wiring.

I know the part is 81601AG09A but looked at some BLs and BPs at the junkyard today. They all seem bundled in a loom together with other harnesses and things like the alternator regulator wiring and so on. Has anybody dealt with replacing the harness or making their own? Any advice would be appreciated.

images.jpg.b66fda552288969878371cbe249bc72b.jpg

I wonder if it's time for you to make a junction block to allow you to shorten the OEM cable and just make a new cable, or buy a red cable like this, that's on my 86' F150.

DSCN9258.thumb.JPG.793ab36a51aafca4e0b5efa597b121ca.JPG

Last Fall I put those red and green felt pads under the cables on the cars. Helps reduce corrosion.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

@ Max Capacity,

I have those. Unfortunately it's the Canadian winters that did me in. I followed your advice and those connectors did do their job. I realized it was a stopgap solution. I'm going to be using a Painless Performance CirkitBoss which is essentially a potted Eaton 3 fuse and relay holder for the extra accessories. I have new terminals.

@rhino6303, I'm going to PM you. Have lots of questions, I hope you're ready.

Thanks!