LegacyGT.com

Headgasket leaking oil, anything else I should replace at the same time?

Timing belt and idlers have about 50,000km on it so nothing to worry about there.

Just did the clutch,flywheel, rear main and that pcv cover, so those should be fine.

What else should I do at the same time?

Local shop has a deal on right now for Tomei parts so I will using their head gaskets.

I'd at least replace the actual timing belt. You're already going through the hassle of doing all this anyways.

I used Felpro gaskets for my car and you get the entire gasket set with their kit. Surgeline recommended replacing the Felpro gaskets in the intake ad exhaust manifolds for my higher-boost car with OEM ones, YMMV. Your exhaust will come apart as will your intake manifold, so plan to buy those.

I guess replace all your fluids? Check out your radiator to make sure that thing is still good as well. Some people have had catastrophic failure of their crank pulley, so I'd replace that too.

Cleaned up the MAF sensor and it seems to have gotten rid of the P0172 (Cylinder bank 1 rich) code for good. I should've done this a long time ago as my exhaust always smelled rich. One side of the MAF was completely black compared to the translucent amber on the other side.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Timing belt and idlers have about 50,000km on it so nothing to worry about there.

Just did the clutch,flywheel, rear main and that pcv cover, so those should be fine.

What else should I do at the same time?

Local shop has a deal on right now for Tomei parts so I will using their head gaskets.

Intake to head gaskets. All little rubber hoses on the intake, replace the fuel hoses on the intake and tighten the clamps while the intake is off the engine.

Also throttle body gaskets.

Ditto on replacing the timing belt at least.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Cleaned up the MAF sensor and it seems to have gotten rid of the P0172 (Cylinder bank 1 rich) code for good. I should've done this a long time ago as my exhaust always smelled rich. One side of the MAF was completely black compared to the translucent amber on the other side.

I believe you are referring to the intake temperature sensor, not the actual MAF sensor. The MAF sensor is buried in the plastic housing of the MAF. It looks like a tiny resistor.

Ive replaced all the Intake manifold gaskets to the newer style, orange ones I think? its been a long time.

Do I really need a full gasket kit and replace everything? I will be doing the valve covers for sure though as one has a small leak.

I had my head gasket replaced around 98k, so a few more miles than you.

But since it was an engine out service and at least partial disassembly, the shop also did the valve cover gaskets, timing belt, water pump, some radiator plumbing that had degraded, power steering pump and the spark plugs for the hell of it.

I had my head gasket replaced around 98k, so a few more miles than you.

But since it was an engine out service and at least partial disassembly, the shop also did the valve cover gaskets, timing belt, water pump, some radiator plumbing that had degraded, power steering pump and the spark plugs for the hell of it.

My engine has 250,000km on it.