LegacyGT.com

Toyota RAV4

Guest *Jedimaster*

Everyone on the internet is a genius :lol:

Good news about the 06 RAV4 is it doesn't come with a manual trans yet-and my wife won't get an automatic, so I don't have to worry about buying her one :D

Um, but your math is for a CONSTANT 90 mph.

This does not reflect acceleration.

Further, I've been to the drag strip MANY times with

many different cars, and trust me, if in a drag race (with cars of

about this speed) one car jumps the other by .2 seconds from 0-60

it'll be about 1/2 car length or so ahead in the first 500 feet...then the other begins

to pull up along side and cross the stripe .1 second sooner with about

.5 or so mph faster....it'll be about a bumper's length or so (3-5 feet) in front.

Over the short distance and time period (.1 seconds) we're talking about here, constant velocity is a sound assumption. Also, since they are running nearly the same trap, the relative acceleration between the vehicles is close to zero anyhow.

The distance between cars will vary with trap speed, of course. If the two cars were trapping 60 mph, they would be closer at the finish. If they were trapping 120 mph, the distance between them would be greater. I've been to the track many times myself and the old ".1 = 1 carlength" rule of thumb has always held true for cars trapping below 100mph.

Tough to argue with the numbers, although I'm sure you'll try :)

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread... I still like the new Rav4

Heck, if I was on a limited budget and wanted a DO ALL vehicle that offered utility

Model_____________Power_____________Towing Capacity________Base Price

Toyota RAV4..........269hp/246 ft-lb......................3500 lbs........................$22,335

Isuzu Ascender......291hp/277 ft-lb.....................5800 lbs........................$20,500

:munch:

Over the short distance and time period (.1 seconds) we're talking about here, constant velocity is a sound assumption. Also, since they are running nearly the same trap, the relative acceleration between the vehicles is close to zero anyhow.

The distance between cars will vary with trap speed, of course. If the two cars were trapping 60 mph, they would be closer at the finish. If they were trapping 120 mph, the distance between them would be greater. I've been to the track many times myself and the old ".1 = 1 carlength" rule of thumb has always held true for cars trapping below 100mph.

Tough to argue with the numbers, although I'm sure you'll try :)

Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread... I still like the new Rav4

I understand your point, but you are forgetting 1 major thing.

The .1 = 1 car length philosophy holds relatively true IF the cars accelerated equally from the get go and one of the cars slowing began to pull away and finished .1 tenth ahead.

Keep in mind, in the situation between the RAV4 and the LGT (auto) was that the RAV4 accelerated to 60 mph (roughly 500 feet covered) .2 faster than the LGT (auto).

Therefore, the RAV4 would (as I initially stated) have about a 3/4 car length lead at that point!

THEN, over the next 800 feet the LGT (auto) would begin to SLOWLY reel the RAV4 in and by the time they reach the 1/4 mile mark, the LGT (auto) would finish .1 second faster (about the front bumper to 1/4 car) which when you add in the fact it started 3/4 car length back, gives you

the .1 = 1 car length approximation rule.

This example plays true also at the recent ESX Motorsports event.

Boostjunkie and I raced our two LGT's at the dragstrip.

Though his car is quite a bit more modified and powerful then mine (he is probably putting down 25-30 hp more and has lowered stiffer springs which allow for a harder/better launch) when we raced I launched my car

better than he (I had launched my car at this drag strip 8-9 times already to his first time) and pulled about 3/4 car length on him right out of the gate.

But then the power of his car began to reel me in. By the 1/8th mile he'd pulled 1/2 car length on me (but his time was .2 seconds faster) and by the 1/4 mile stripe, he was .4 seconds faster than I (with a trap speed of 3 mph faster) and was just under 2 car lengths in front (there was probably about 10 feet of air between my front bumper and his rear bumper).

So the .4 tenths and 3 mph got him about 1.75 car lengths ahead at the finish, but when taking into consideration that he had to make up about .75 car lengths, he actually covered about 2.5 car lengths more than I did.

Now, with his more powerful car and stiffer/lowered suspension, with more practice, he should EASILY be able to jump a good 1/2 or so car length on me to the 60' mark and in doing so, his ET's of .4 tenths faster than mine would probably be 3.5+ car lengths overall.

Anyway, it's all relative, and with the new RAV4 vs. LGT (auto) it would

be a drivers race anyway. But I was just impressed with the RAV4's level

of acceleration for a $23K "cute ute"!

You think the rav4 is faster than an Avalon?

It's close though.

They have the same engine, same transmission.

I think the RAV4 Limited 4WD they tested weighs a bit more than the Avalon, and I'm sure the RAV4's aerodynamics didn't help either.

Had they tested the FWD model RAV4, and I bet the times between the Avalon and RAV4 would

of been REALLY close.

Model_____________Power_____________Towing Capacity________Base Price

Toyota RAV4..........269hp/246 ft-lb......................3500 lbs........................$22,335

Isuzu Ascender......291hp/277 ft-lb.....................5800 lbs........................$20,500

:munch:

Where do you get $20.5K as the base price of the Isuzu?

On Edmunds, it's $26K.

Plus, the Ascender is essentially a Chevy Trailblazer.

Won't be as fast as the RAV4

Won't get nearly as good gas mileage

Won't handle nearly as well.

Won't have nearly the resale value

Sure the RAV4 may not tow or carry as much, but when I was talking about

a "do all" I wasn't just worried about towing. If that was a top concern

I'd get a real truck. "Do all" means, price, performance, handling, gas mileage, utility, comfort, etc etc.

Again, I was talking "if" I was a person on a limited budget who "wanted" a sporty car, but

needed something that could carry people and/or some gear if needed, tow light trailer if needed, and not break the bank.

True a Forester XT would do the same, but it costs several thousands

more (and sorry, it doesn't look very good IMHO).

Where do you get $20.5K as the base price of the Isuzu?

On Edmunds, it's $26K.

forget edmunds....price it on Isuzu's own website

Sure the RAV4 may not tow or carry as much

what, exactly, do you mean by "utility" then? babyseats and backpacks?

If that was a top concern I'd get a real truck.

isn't that what a real man would drive? a bigger concern should be at what point in your life did you begin getting excited over a "cute ute"?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN' ON AROUND HERE?!!

Fuel economy is 21/28 for the AWD V6 version of the RAV4. Hmm, weighs more, has more power, as fast if not faster (auto versus auto) has a greater frontal surface area and is probably is draggier than the LGT/XT, yet gets an estimated two mpg better in the city and highway.

Time for direct injection Subaru?

-B

forget edmunds....price it on Isuzu's own website

what, exactly, do you mean by "utility" then? babyseats and backpacks?

isn't that what a real man would drive? a bigger concern should be at what point in your life did you begin getting excited over a "cute ute"?

You want to get an Isuzu...go for it.

"utility" meaning, the ability to carry needed items and supplies. Don't need a POS Isuzu to have that.

No, a "real" man doesn't need to drive around in a Ferrari or a lifted 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel truck with 35" wheels. You are free to show how much of a "real" man you are driving around in an Isuzu...if any women wants to question my manhood, I'll show her in the bedroom...with my wife too.

And I don't need to prove my manhood to other men (like you apparently feel you need to do)...beside, how big of a man do you think you'd look like when that "cute ute" RAV4 is pulling away from your Isuzu anyway? :lol::D

You are free to show how much of a "real" man you are driving around in an Isuzu...

don't own an Isuzu, don't plan on owning one. was just pointing out that there's a less expensive vehicle that had better "utility" capacities, since you decided to conclude your verbose Toyota RAV4 Commercial thread with a "If I was on a limited budget" endorsement.

...beside, how big of a man do you think you'd look like when that "cute ute" RAV4 is pulling away from your Isuzu anyway? :lol::D

actually, pretty BIG.....particularly when what's left of the RAV4's rear axle remains in the driveway along with the boat trailer

Automatic versus automatic I'd say RAV4 is da faster.

The Forester XT's transmissions play two different roles... It's the only forester with any guts.

Auto for those who want power

manual for those who want performance

The Rav4 V6 For those who want power.

Not like the drivers would be taking them out on the track...but i bet an auto forester xt massacres a Rav4 v6 on a track.

Forester is teh F4574R!!!!11!!!!!1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived