LegacyGT.com

Hg?

Hello all,

I have a 2009 Legacy, doing control arms at the moment and noticed that the underneath of my legacy is soaked in oil, Engine oil pan, rack, a bit of the front diff, and Left head.

Now this is a used engine I installed back in 2020 and it apparently has around 60k miles on it.

It doesn't seem to be loosing coolant nor much oil after driving 3k miles on this engine. It's not a car I drive much everyday.

It does seem like that the head gaskets are original and the head is only soaked on the bottom area of the head not on the sides.

Here is a picture of underneath the head. https://imgur.com/qFs4FZa

I'll clean up the underneath and monitor it when I change my oil next.

Sorry, that picture doesn't really help at all.

If the oil is leaking from the valve cover gaskets, it will be on the outer edge (and more likely than an external HG leak).

If the oil is leaking where the head meets the engine, then it's likely an external HG leak.

Is this a 2.5i that is leaking from the head gaskets? If it is, someone really should have changed the head gaskets when the engine was out. It is inevitable that those will eventually leaks especially now that the engine is 10+ years old.

So, here is a few more photos, https://imgur.com/a/tcrIOP1

Yes this is a 2.5 and I recently did do head gaskets on my Impreza back in spring so it shouldn't be that hard to do again if needed.

What are you thoughts on these photos? these should be a bit more helpful hopefully.

Right side of the engine is clean, and head is also dry.