LegacyGT.com

Diagnosing Pulley Squeak

Hey friends, haven't driven over the holiday break for a week and a half but noticed a pulley squeaking when I fired it up yesterday to pull into the garage.

What's the best way to diagnose which one? I think its the top right one, but hard to tell definitively when a lot of noises going on. Almost harder to tell the closer I get.

Had pulleys and tensioners replaced with the front end assembly interval 60k miles ago but idk what all is included there. I'm also assuming it's a pulley here. Which is why im looking for pointers. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head one way to make sure it's a pulley and not the belt is to drip a bit of water on the belt while the emgine is running. If the squeak goes away wet, its the belt.

Also, one way to at least remove the AC compressor from the list is to engage/disengage the AC compressor via the climate control panel. A compressor squeak usually goes away when the compressor clutch is disengaged.

That kinda sounds like an idler pulley bearing with the frequency and pitch, but I would certainly try Scubaboo's trick first. If you still hear a squeak after both of those tricks, take the belt off completely and start it, but not for very long! You won't have an alternator or a water pump.

Once I get some time I'll probably try just popping off pulleys and moving them. I will say, after running an errand yesterday, there wasn't any noise during idle at a stop light a few minutes of driving later, but it would begin again as I would accelerate.