LegacyGT.com

1994 Subaru Legacy Loose Red wire under dash

sgmoQF.jpg

My car is having issues with hard starting. I got:

Code 12 Abnormal signal emitted from starter switch

Code 21 Abnormal signal emitted from water temperature sensor

Code 24 Air control valve

But when I went to plug in my black testing wires, I saw this one loose. It plugs in in some where but I have yet to find it. I did find an old piece of black tape. There's a lot of taped up wired above there. Don't want to start juggling things around.

What's worse is trying to do this from the passenger side as too much traffic is on the driver side towards the street.

Thank You for any help you can give me.

When I have to do a lot of such work I sometimes get all the tools arranged in the foot well and then site in the seat upside down, head on the pedals, feet by the roof.

Do you have an alarm with immobilizer? That is some sketchy wiring that could use some cleanup.

If you mean it is cranking and firing, but just not firing well enough to fully run I would start with mechanical and sensor troubles with the engine. If you mean it cranks with zero fire, or won't crank then I would start with electrical.

No, I do not have an alarm with immobilzer.

Your idea of being up side down is a good idea. Just hope I don't get stuck that way.

The car has been having trouble initaling starting. I had to pump the gas pedal ALOT till it got cranking and then give it more gas to keep it from stalling. Once reved up for 2-3 minutes, everything would be fine. It would start up with no problems till I let it rest for 5 or more hours.

I am thinking sensors as well.

There's wires under the dash that have black tape or duck tape on it. The tape is pretty old. So the other wire either still has tape on it or its bare showing. We've been hit with winter storms lately so it has slowed down the progress.

Hi,

Those red wires aren't factory/OEM wires, IMHO. Looks like someone made a 2-wire 'harness' for something. Find where they go up under the dash.

RE: the starting issue - Based on the codes, ensure your IAC on the TB is plugged in and all wiring is good. And the CTS/Coolant Temp sensor is a common failure point, which your symptoms would confirm. It's a PITA sensor to replace but cheap to buy. Note there are TWO sensors; One is the 1-wire for the gauge; the other is 2-wire for the ECU, which is the one to replace.

I am going to get a big mirror and put it at the driver's floor aqnd use a bright light to see what is under the dash. Witha bad right hip and two bad knees, I will climb tight in there but I need it to be last resort.

I will check on the IAC.

I was wondering about the two different parts when I was searching on Rockauto a few days ago. PITA to replace? I'm used to it working on this car. I had it for 11 years but I think the transmission is going out. After 5 miles, it starts having bad slippage taking off. Tried Lucus Transmission Fix and it worked for 2 weeks and then it started coming bad. But I will hang on to my old friend. It's been a good car.

I have recently moved into a senior citizen complex and have been emptying my storage as I can't afford both. Then we got hit by snow storms. But I will at least get it up and running but I haven't set a date but soon. Will order the part from Rockauto. I really could use it for groceries shopping as the bus system sucks here.