LegacyGT.com

Alternator (?) whine

Hey folks!

So thanks to recommendations here, I went to Crutchfield, and bought the Boss BE10ACP. Lower-end model, but still way more than I ever expected to spend on a stereo lol.

It took a few hours but I got it installed. Because I didn't want to have to completely deconstruct my car, I connected the hand brake safety to the ground wire as a bypass.It works, but there is significant whine when accelerating. I bought this:

BOSS Audio Systems Ground Loop Isolator B25N noise Filter for Car Audio Systems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LP4RMG/

Just installed it, but there does not seem to be any noticeable difference, the whine is still there.

Any advice on how to resolve this?

Also, unrelated, I set up an iPhone cable to the USB/charging port so my girl can charge while we're driving. Tested it on our engine phone, and it seemed to drain like 4% in a few minutes. Is it just not a good option for charging?

Alternator whine through the radio is almost always due to grounding issue. On one of my vehicle I did a stereo I had a whine and I thought I had grabbed a good gnd. It had a whine and when I looked at it in closer detail I realized the floor panel I grounded it to had was mostly had an adhesive to the rest of the floor and and it just a had a couple tack welds. Edited by dgoodhue

How do you like the stereo? Can you post up a picture or two of it installed? Curious if it allows you to still use the cubby hole or if it blocks the vents (I've been thinking about getting something with a decent sized screen like this)

Also, unrelated, I set up an iPhone cable to the USB/charging port so my girl can charge while we're driving. Tested it on our engine phone, and it seemed to drain like 4% in a few minutes. Is it just not a good option for charging?

USB's that are intended to be used as media inputs rarely support enough current to charge a phone faster than it drains, so I'd recommend using one of the 12v sockets with an adapter.

That being said, it looks like your new radio can output 7.5w through both USB cables, so assuming you connected it to that, it should be enough to charge or at least maintain. There have been cases of very fast battery drain with certain versions of carplay - check for updates?

USB's that are intended to be used as media inputs rarely support enough current to charge a phone faster than it drains, so I'd recommend using one of the 12v sockets with an adapter.

That being said, it looks like your new radio can output 7.5w through both USB cables, so assuming you connected it to that, it should be enough to charge or at least maintain. There have been cases of very fast battery drain with certain versions of carplay - check for updates?

Well it has two USB ports, one for Android Auto/Carplay, and one labeled USB/Charging. I have a USB-C connected to the Auto one for my Android, and hooked a lightning cable to the USB/Charging one for my girl to charge her phone while we're driving. She hooked up to it the other day while we were running around town and with the screen off it made decent gain, which was mostly what we were looking for. Still weird that the station phone drained out like it did, I guess I'm mostly just wondering if that is a data connection or pure charging, or if maybe that phone had possible been set to charge outward.

How do you like the stereo? Can you post up a picture or two of it installed? Curious if it allows you to still use the cubby hole or if it blocks the vents (I've been thinking about getting something with a decent sized screen like this)

No pics but it sits pretty comfortably between the vents without blocking them, though you're not gonna be aiming the opposite-side vent at yourself if that's what you're asking.

As for the cubby hole, I don't have issues with the unit blocking, though I keep it slid higher just so it's more in my line of sight. The cubby doesn't have any sort of grip liner and is pretty slick, though, so I'd recommend putting some kind of liner in. Things tend to slide out of it, or maybe it's just how I drive lol