LegacyGT.com

Steering wheel not centered

Hi. Not long time ago I've noticed that my steering wheel is not "dead centered" while driving straight. I didn't the alignment and the only thing "off" they've found was rear camber - left was off in positive numbers and right was off in negative numbers.

I've also installed Perrin steering damper. Could it be that?

Another guess would be the springs? I do see that my car is almost always tilted when parked (left side just a tiny bit lower than right - by a few millimeters from what it seems like).

Is that a problem? Or my paranoia just playing with me?

b9639bd43c98adc67c18f49422c2ba81.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hi. Not long time ago I've noticed that my steering wheel is not "dead centered" while driving straight. I didn't the alignment and the only thing "off" they've found was rear camber - left was off in positive numbers and right was off in negative numbers.

I've also installed Perrin steering damper. Could it be that?

Another guess would be the springs? I do see that my car is almost always tilted when parked (left side just a tiny bit lower than right - by a few millimeters from what it seems like).

Is that a problem? Or my paranoia just playing with me?

b9639bd43c98adc67c18f49422c2ba81.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

It looks like you put on a Different Steering Wheel if you did you need to go to an alignment shop and have them do an alignment and adjust the steering wheel so its straight.. I had to do it with mine it was off to the right so I took it off and moved it 1 tooth left but then it was off to the left.. So the alignment did the trick..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Actually the steering wheel is stock, just wrapped in leather

Did you remove it to wrap, or did you wrap it in place? If the steering wheel has never been removed, the only thing that should affect the straight-ahead steering wheel position is wheel alignment. Assuming that the rest of the suspension is undamaged and in spec, a good alignment shop can adjust front toe to center the steering wheel.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Its your alignment.

I have the same issue with my daily Honda. The steer ahead needs to be adjusted when the alignment is done. Its just part of the alignment anyway so you could mention the wheel is off center when you do the alignment. The Perrin Damper has nothing to do with this at all.

If you are in a state that gets snow and ice and has potholes I would hold off on the alignment until after winter is done and go in April/May.

Surprisingly I have found that the dealers do the best alignment around my area. Except for one indi shop that sold out and is crap now.

... I've also installed Perrin steering damper. Could it be that? ...

Only if you removed the steering shaft uni-joint & put it back one spline out. But there is no need to remove it to fit the Perrin dampener & I think one spline out would put the steering wheel out more than what you show.

My guess is the front track was adjusted by adjusting one side of the steering rack ends only without checking if the steering wheel is centred after the adjustment. Have a look for tell tale spanner or vice grip marks on the rack ends, the lock nuts or the tie rod ends & see if they are only on one side.