LegacyGT.com

H7 LED recommendations

I searched for "H7 LED" and did not see anything, but if there is another thread on this already, please let me know. I checked the 'bulb guide' under the Exterior/Aesthetic forum -- in the last several pages there are a few people asking about LED headlights, but I didn't see any one sharing experiences on which bulbs / harnesses would work.

I would like to replace the halogen headlights in my 2009 LGT with LED bulbs. What have been others experiences with LED bulbs? Most look to be too long, so any recommendations on H7 LED's that fit a 2009 LGT would be appreciated.

I am hoping others have figured this out already -- if not, I will spend the $40-$60 on bulbs and pull things apart attempt to install.

Thanks, TB

Edited by journey

Go to V-LED and get the LED headlights from there. Get the micro or the new version. YES they will cost you 180+ dollars. It's high quality and made very well. https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h7.html

I have them in my 06 LGT, had them in my 08 legacy, and my 06 Outback. They work great in our projectors.

Are these plug and play with our wiring set up? Never been particularly happy with the stock Halogen headlight output in my ‘08 XT but dont want cobble together something that needs all kinds of adapters etc.

Are these plug and play with our wiring set up? Never been particularly happy with the stock Halogen headlight output in my ‘08 XT but dont want cobble together something that needs all kinds of adapters etc.

I’ve tried a few leds in my 05 obxt in both the fog lights and the headlights and I wasn’t satisfied with them in the headlights. The hid’s seemed to perform a lot better and imo provided more usable light at night. As for the fog lights, the leds seem to be outperforming the hid’s. Every brand led I’ve tried both expensive and cheap have put a dark line across the projector lens. There is a possibility that the reflective chrome behind my projectors had degraded since 2005 but this has been my experience with them.

Go to V-LED and get the LED headlights from there. Get the micro or the new version. YES they will cost you 180+ dollars. It's high quality and made very well. https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h7.html

I have them in my 06 LGT, had them in my 08 legacy, and my 06 Outback. They work great in our projectors.

Thanks. I have the V-LED reverse bar for my LGT already, and I smile every time I put it in reverse and see how bright it is. I have been planning to get them for our other cars.

I looked at their H7 bulbs when they had their Black Friday deals, but I was not sure if it was worth the $110 or $180 for the bulbs especially when other H7's can be purchased for $50 elsewhere. Do you know the difference between the two models? The Extreme looks to be 4500LM vs 2500LM of the Limited.

Did they install up without the fit kits?

Yes, Yes, Yes, If you know me on here I do not cut corners and go cheap on my Legacy. They are direct plug and play. No wire cutting or anything. You will have to cut out a small quarter size hole in the dust cap because there is a fan on the LED so they stay nice and cool. I have them in my 06 Outback and for the big fogs. I did run Diode dynamics but stopped. V-LED seem to have a little better touch to them.

Yes it's worth the money and they do not blind people at night.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought HIKARI H7 conversion kit for all 4 of our Subarus back in 2019. This one:

HIKARI Ultra LED Bulbs Conversion Kit -H7, Prime LED 6K Cool White

at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B5NXPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are no longer available but there seems to be a newer model:

HIKARI UltraFocus H7 LED Bulbs, 18000LM, 32W Prime ZES LED Equivalent to 120W Ordinary LED, High Performance LED Conversion Kit, Halogen Bulbs Upgrade Replacement, Canbus Ready, 6000K Cool White

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Ultra-Headlight-Conversion-12000lm/dp/B07VSF45ZM/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07VSF45ZM&psc=1

The nice part about them was that they fit under the back round cap without any modifications to the lamp or cap. The only thing I had to do was to rotate the LED bulb to get proper beam pattern on the road.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I bought HIKARI H7 conversion kit for all 4 of our Subarus back in 2019. This one:

at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B5NXPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are no longer available but there seems to be a newer model:

https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Ultra-Headlight-Conversion-12000lm/dp/B07VSF45ZM/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07VSF45ZM&psc=1

The nice part about them was that they fit under the back round cap without any modifications to the lamp or cap. The only thing I had to do was to rotate the LED bulb to get proper beam pattern on the road.

they get a little warm with no air flow. I ordered 7 kits and sent them back because of the venting.

they get a little warm with no air flow. I ordered 7 kits and sent them back because of the venting.

Don't know if they get any hotter than standard halogen H7 bulb but they have been running for couple of years now without issues. The fan in the cap should be helping, no?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Fwiw a few years back I got some OLM leds that were actually for a 15+ WRX. Not that it matters. Used them in my 10lgt, my 08outback, and my 05 and 06lgt cars. I just switch them over whenever I get a new rig lol.

They're stupid bright and crystal clear/white. I wanna say they were over 100+$ as well. Clarity is great and the throw is spot on

Thanks for the responses. VLED has 20% discount through 9pm PST tonight, so I ordered the MICRO EXTREME H7 6K low beams and MICRO LIMITED 9006 HB4 3K fog lights.

I am a volunteer ski patrol in the NC mountains -- we had super think fog this weekend, which made me decide to go for the 3K fog lights. VLED only offers the 3K light in the MICRO LIMITED model (i.e., 2500LM vs 3500LM produced by the MICRO EVOLUTION).

For the low beams (H7), I thought about getting the 5K, but went with the 6K. I had purchased a set of XSTORM H7 LED from Amazon about two weeks ago, as I liked the idea of 6 sided / 360 degree LED, but I have not had a chance to install them yet. I have a 2006 WRX, so I will use the XSTORM H7 LED's in it -- they will replace an older set of HID's that have been acting up recently.

I ordered the LPR 1800LM LED REVERSE LIGHT SYSTEM as well for the WRX, so I will be all lit up both coming and going for both cars now... ;-)

Edited by journey

• 1 month later...
... You will have to cut out a small quarter size hole in the dust cap because there is a fan on the LED so they stay nice and cool. I have them in my 06 Outback and for the big fogs. I did run Diode dynamics but stopped. V-LED seem to have a little better touch to them.

Have my VLED's for my low beams and fog lights. It looks like the VLED H7 will stick out some. Have you had any issues with water getting into the light housing? Would be ideal if deeper covers were available.

These do rock, a bit hard to get under dust cups but damn bright

I originally bought the following set, which look nearly identical:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N67ML2T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to install one, and dust cap barely makes it. The downside is that with the dust cap on, the the cooling fan is blocked. Thus, I had decided to go ahead and cut a hold in the back of the dust cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N67ML2T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to install one, and dust cap barely makes it. The downside is that with the dust cap on, the the cooling fan is blocked. Thus, I had decided to go ahead and cut a hold in the back of the dust cap.

This is what I mentioned above, you have to cut a hole if it has a fan. it's been years with my V-LEDs and I have had no problem.

Oh, thank you, very good point and I'll look into doing this this weekend, so they don't burn out too fast. I was surprised the shop got the dust caps to fit, tho they did them before putting the new housing assemblies in.

I've used the Bevinsee v35 and recently upgraded to the v45s (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CG3S3TR). Both are very bright and fit within the dust caps with room to spare on an Outback. One of the v35 bulbs burned out after 6 months but they were only $40-50 for the pair and the seller warrantied them. Will see how long the new ones last and if they crap out, going to something in a higher price point. Can't believe how much better these led bulbs are than the halogen alternatives; I can actually see the road at night now.