LegacyGT.com

Starter grind? and radiator failure on highway

First time I start the car after it's been sitting for a while (a day or so) there is a grinding sound as the engine is catching. Or, let's say, if the whole operation from turning the key to engine running takes 2 or 3 seconds, at the top of the starter action there's a grinding sound. Doesn't sound good. Subsequent starts over the next few hours the grind decreases and then is gone until it's sitting again for a while.

Had it in the shop for brakes/rotors and asked them to look into it. The guy said something about a sensor (can't remember what he called it), and that they might be able to basically shim it into position but he didn't know if it would do anything. It was gonna be a $100 try so I passed. Anyone know what this could be?

Also, a month after getting the car, driving on the highway, the engine cut out, smoke out the exhaust, etc. I was able to get off the highway and to a safe spot, and saw the trail of coolant and ATF the car had bled. From what I've read it seems like the car going unresponsive was to prevent the engine from overheating. Good. It's been repaired and seems fine, but I've been wondering:

• why sudden radiator failure?
  • could there be lasting damage?
  • anything I should be looking into or concerned about?

I asked the mechanic who did the work if he could tell why it failed and he just shrugged. Nice guy, but he had no idea. I'm not sure it's possible to know, but thought I'd post here and see what you guys think.

Guessing this is your '09 3.0?

I don't know for sure with your model, others will, but many 'buru starters are plagued with this issue. There are how to's on removing, disassembley,cleaning and lubing of the bendix/shaft.

As for the radiator and subsequent shut down, yes, the car did what it knew to do to save the engine. These cars are aged by now. Not sure of your mileage but the radiator may have had signs of imminent failure. Where you live affects some parts more than others as well. A car in the desert will give the cooling system a heck of a workout compared to one in a mostly cooler climate.

Glad it's up and running. Enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here