LegacyGT.com

Blew up intercooler!!!!

carman493

Yeah I love the FMIC kit, it's really nice, he does great work......if you want more pics I'll take what i can and get them too ya....

I have a leak somewhere from the install, but that has NOTHING to do with the work......but I can tell ya it's DRIVING ME NUTZ......

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I am most-likely going to go with the TDC since there are some options on what you can get. The only thing is, I want to be sure I am getting quality and something that can support a turbo the size of an FP Green or bigger down the road. My main issue is that I want the kit for monday or tuesday, but it looks like that wouldnt happen with either one anyway.

Yeah you are dreaming..........BIG TIME.........if you want one that quick...

I have a huge core, plenty big for any turbo. The 40T doesn't even come close using it's potential.......

Maybe I'll sell you mine....I gotta take the whole freak'n car apart anyway LOL

Why do you have to take it all apart? Where is the leak coming from? Is it from one of the welds at where the ends tanks meet the core?? Also, from what I read, you made around 330awhp correct? Shouldn't you be making more than that with your mods? What do you think a stock turbo stage 2 car should make at the wheels with the fmic and 19lbs tapering off to about 14 or so on 93 oct?

yeah I don't know where the leak is coming from, that's Y I have to take it all apart......

330 will be a tune on good gas, with the shitty winter fule running 310/310 right now......I've learned never to guess numbers, cuz every car is so diff....you should be able to get it up there though....

And yes, I can get more outta her with my mods....but not yet...

I'm just nervous with those welds...the kits looks wonderful, but the welds on the intercooler core itself don't look as clean as I would like. If your leak isn't coming from the core itself, and you want to sell it, I would consider buying it. But I haven't yet decided who I am going to go with. It sux that there are so few choices.

What do you think a stock turbo stage 2 car should make at the wheels with the fmic and 19lbs tapering off to about 14 or so on 93 oct?

Depends on the tune. I'd say 280's/330's is possible. My car made 276/320 with a Perrin TMIC and stage-2 mods with TDC doing the Protune.

I can't decide what to do....do I buy the MTS which def has better quality but is crazy pricey or do I buy the TDC which is much cheaper, but quality is def. lacking, or do I make my own? This is killin me lol. Is the Perrin one any good? I haven't heard anything good at all.

Excuse me?

Lacking quality?

When have you seen my cooler?

when have you ridden in a car w my cooler?

please keep statements that have no validity out of a thread like this

my RETAIL kits are SUPER high quality with serious attention to detail built into every one

Scans car is and was a prototype , and i was rushed on the whole installand fabrication process, i have made some changes to how i will be building them. .......

you cannot look at a few pictures and decide quality.

MTS and i build out kits the same way... we take sections of pipe and make into large peices that fit where needed. The differences is i use polished aluminum which never looks good in pictures because the flash alters the way the welds look.

My bumper beam is FAR different than what scans pics show,...... that beam is the one he had on it when he crashed (the beam was bent but not destroyed)

Before you judge a product by a prototype you should see teh final product

which you will be able to see very soon as im building one for an LGT member this week

I can't decide what to do....do I buy the MTS which def has better quality but is crazy pricey or do I buy the TDC which is much cheaper, but quality is def. lacking, or do I make my own? This is killin me lol. Is the Perrin one any good? I haven't heard anything good at all.

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

Cobb, Perrin, APS, Invidia, Megan racing and MORE!!

Your #1 source For Subaru / Legacy GT performance parts!

the welds to the intercooelr join thinner sheet metal to a THICK peice of aluminum

if you have ever weled aluminum you would know how difficult that actually is

the welds there are done wion 175 amps and it takes ALL the pedal i have toget the core to melt......

the white you see is where the AC arc blasts away the oxidation inorder to weld it

it wipes right off.... we just never did since we were hammered for time

Scans car is coming back here tomorrow

for me to inspect everything

Any Kit i sell retail will be 100% quality

and i offer a LIFETIME warranty

I'm just nervous with those welds...the kits looks wonderful, but the welds on the intercooler core itself don't look as clean as I would like. If your leak isn't coming from the core itself, and you want to sell it, I would consider buying it. But I haven't yet decided who I am going to go with. It sux that there are so few choices.

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

I have to say i've seen first hand some of the things Jon had going when I went for my Protune. Lacking quality would not be accurate. This guy takes his work seriously I can tell you that. If his FM is anything like his tuning there's very little to be worried about. He had my respect after I was done at his shop.

I apologize for my comment, but I was only stating an opinion. From what I could observe from the pictures of that single intercooler that you made, it looked like the welds weren't nearly as good in quality as the MTS and many other intercooler welds. I was judging from only one unit that was created by you. Future, or other units may not look the same as the one on Scans car, but that's all I had to go by. I wasn't trying to put you or your work down, I was just stating from the one intercooler I had seen.

I would like to see what more mainstream production intercoolers would look like before I were to purchase the setup. The rest of the kits looks wonderful. I have had bad experiances in the past with bad welding esepecially on intercooler core to endtank welds. I, in no way, was trying to put you or your product down, I was just making an observation. Next time I have a comment like that, I will PM whoever it may be. I apologize sincerely!

Mike

thanks mike

i have been welding aluminum and building FMIC for 8 years

i haveonly had one weld break EVER

if you wish i can do cast end tanks instead of sheetmetal as well

thats a bit easier to weld on as well (and how im going in the future on these kits)

that way all i have to do is weld one tank on......

i can buy coolers with the tanks welded on already as well

here is an example od one of my other kits

http://www.tdctuning.com/projects/2004stigt35r/P8280516.JPG

http://www.tdctuning.com/projects/2004stigt35r/P8280514.JPG

http://www.tdctuning.com/projects/2004stigt35r/P8300520.JPG

and another close up from a car i did last year

http://www.tdctuning.com/upped/weld.jpg

again its hard to get a good pic because the welds are so shiny

I apologize for my comment, but I was only stating an opinion. From what I could observe from the pictures of that single intercooler that you made, it looked like the welds weren't nearly as good in quality as the MTS and many other intercooler welds. I was judging from only one unit that was created by you. Future, or other units may not look the same as the one on Scans car, but that's all I had to go by. I wasn't trying to put you or your work down, I was just stating from the one intercooler I had seen.

I would like to see what more mainstream production intercoolers would look like before I were to purchase the setup. The rest of the kits looks wonderful. I have had bad experiances in the past with bad welding esepecially on intercooler core to endtank welds. I, in no way, was trying to put you or your product down, I was just making an observation. Next time I have a comment like that, I will PM whoever it may be. I apologize sincerely!

Mike

TDC Tunings LGT Forum

I'll say this, I ordered the TDC kit, and I'm very picky on what I like and don't like when it comes to quality on my products. Now, I'm expecting this quality to be very high, the welds (in pics) look very good (you would know if you have welded alum.) and the bumper brace doesn't have to look pretty for me, I won't see it. The mts kit looks very good, but the core is too small for the turbo I want to go with. Now for all of you doubters, I will take pics and review, and be very objective, if I'm not happy you will know or if I'm happy you'll know. So, just wait a bit before you jump to conclusions about some kit without a few people saying things about it. You can't judge quality by one kit. So, relax and just wait for some people to get it if you doubt anything about it.

First of all, I know alot about welding and performance upgrades. I work on mostly DSMs and 4g63s but Subaru is no different in the case of welding intercoolers. The pic of Scans intercooler does not look all that great to me. However, the pics above have changed my mind. I have had experience with people welding intercoolers and other aluminum items together and having them leak from small pinholes in the welds. I kno its difficult, but by taking your time and making sure nothing goes to the public that isnt your best work, there will never be a comment like mine. I do like the welds inthe rest of the pics, and I will be in contact with you shortly as I would like to ask some questions and possibly purchase the intercooler this week. Another local is interested too, so we may order together!

the welds to the intercooelr join thinner sheet metal to a THICK peice of aluminum

if you have ever weled aluminum you would know how difficult that actually is

the welds there are done wion 175 amps and it takes ALL the pedal i have toget the core to melt......

the white you see is where the AC arc blasts away the oxidation inorder to weld it

it wipes right off.... we just never did since we were hammered for time

Scans car is coming back here tomorrow

for me to inspect everything

Any Kit i sell retail will be 100% quality

and i offer a LIFETIME warranty

You sir, yes you! When this car goes turbo (I'm looking at the S3L block from Crawford) when I get out of college and have the moneys, you will be contacted. I like all that you have done for Subies and since you're so close to me, I'd be glad to do buisiness with you, expecially since you offer a LIFETIME warranty!

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Wow this thread took off......I was really just play'n around cuz I was so pissed off that my inlet hose had a small hole in it, and then tune was too rich once I replaced it do to the fact that the extra air wasn't getting in .......we'll know for sure today....

Failed IC.....who's, where......Jon's welds are awesome no matter what anyone says, his work is top notch.......you'll be hard pressed to find someone that can weld Aluminum like him.....

And question, why the heck would you call someone's product crappy quality (without proper evidence), then poss ask him custom build you one......doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do IMHO :D

I was look'n to buy other FMIC's,....but I went with jon's, and I'm 150% glad I did

I was looking at some of the welds, and there was some puddling and hot spots. I simply made a comment in a question form more than anything. I never said it was crappy, i said the welds looked it. Now that I had seen other welds of the same material, I know for sure he can do good work. You have to understand, I have had bad experiances in the past. I apologized and then had some questions about the kit..

Enjoy your kit, I have been following all the fmic threads and like what i have been hearing from you about the tdc kit and it sounds like its the best route right now.

Archived