LegacyGT.com

iOS 15 and Possible Bluetooth Issue MY 2015-2019

I was wondering if there's anyone out there using an iPhone 7 with iOS 15 installed, or any iPhone with iOS 15 for that matter, who has a MY 2015-2019 Legacy/Outback with the Generation 2 Fujitsu-Ten head unit. If so, have you been experiencing issues with text messages not being imported and then going to the setup to import text messages, and that won't work either? This is happening to me every now and then, and to fix it, I have to unpair my iPhone 7, forget the device under the bluetooth settings on my iPhone, and then repair. I'm also making sure that "show notifications" is turned on in the bluetooth settings on my iPhone for the Subaru. This problem never happened to me before until I updated my iOS software to version 15. I wonder if the firmware for the head unit needs another update to work with iOS 15? (I currently have the latest firmware installed for my head unit..OU9313 for a 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium) I contacted Subaru about this and they said they would pass along the message to Fujitsu. I was just curious though how many others are experiencing this same thing. I would think it has to be a firmware compatibility issue if plenty more respond saying they started having this problem once their phone was upgraded to iOS 15. Look forward to any responses. Thank you!

I had the same issue with my Camry when I had it and I had the upgraded Denso unit with the bigger display. It did the same thing on Android as well as my wife’s iPhone in about 90 day intervals. Once the phone was unpaired and paired again the problem was nonexistent for another three months.

I really don’t think it’s a head unit issue rather then a Bluetooth issue designed to happen at certain time intervals.

Apple can have its issues as we are all aware but in this case if it was an issue it would be more widespread across multiple car brands and we are not seeing that here.

My issue occurs much more frequently than 3 months. It can happen in just a few days. Starting to become very frustrating. And again, I find it interesting that this didn’t happen until I upgraded my iPhone 7 software to iOS 15. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see if this issue becomes more common for anything to be done about it. It’s frustrating because the whole reason I got an iPhone was due to the Siri integration it has with my 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i premium which allows you to send custom text messages.

My issue occurs much more frequently than 3 months. It can happen in just a few days. Starting to become very frustrating. And again, I find it interesting that this didn’t happen until I upgraded my iPhone 7 software to iOS 15. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see if this issue becomes more common for anything to be done about it. It’s frustrating because the whole reason I got an iPhone was due to the Siri integration it has with my 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i premium which allows you to send custom text messages.

For me it was only the 90 day timeframe simply because I don’t drive my Leggy or the Camry in question daily and more like two week spurts for one day or so. To give you an example last time I drove my sixth gen 3.6 was last month.

The Camrys unit was the upgraded Denso unit with the bigger screen and it had the same issues as you are describing. Once the Bluetooth connection started to get wonky I just reset the bluetooth on the phone and it was fine.

However now you are having the same issue on the Fujitsu unit which tells me it’s a Bluetooth issue to some extent. But before we solely blame the car lol I can say I am having major issues with Apple products as far as my profession with integration.

If it gets worse you could always swap the head unit if it’s a pain to keep resetting the Bluetooth.

• 3 weeks later...
So it seems the method to resolve this issue is simply to turn off your bluetooth connection on the iPhone and then turn it back on. Everything will repair and then the text messages will come through. I've done this several times now and it works on the first try. This is much less of a hassle than having to unpair the phone, forget the bluetooth connection in your phone settings, and then repair.