LegacyGT.com

Vibration around 2200 rpm only, under load, gets worse when suspension is compressed?

Hi guys, this is a strange one for me.

Like the title says, vibration at 2000-2200 rpm only, under load, gets worse when suspension is compressed. I replaced the LCA and its still there, no worse or better?

It's not making the sound at any other time?

I feel it like its in the drivers foot well as a rumbling vibration.

I tried the turn left and right at full lock to check wheel bearings but its silent.

A shop will be installing a Whiteline Roll Center kit on the 11th.

Any ideas before I have them go looking @ $125hr?

Edited by VespaGTS
edit

Is the vibration the same at that RPM in any gear (speed)? If so, it is likely engine, convertor or input shaft related. Otherwise I'd be looking at driveline, drive shaft or wheel balance first.

Thanks, I will go for a drive and test the theory.

if its RPM dependent and not speed dependent and only under load, then i'd guess its worn out motor mounts.

3rd gear under load makes the most vibration. Since the rpm is low in that gear it’s loaded pretty good.

I’ll check motor mounts and keep the revs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the long delay. Life is crazy these days!

The motor mounts, according to my shop ArcFlash are okay. The trans mounts and trans were inspected by a transmission shop and they said no problems.

ArcFlash mentioned that it could be the torque converter, but the trans shop didn't mention it after inspection?

I am starting to believe that these shops are so busy that they don't want to deal with a vibration issue.

When riding in the car with a tech he said it felt like it was vibrating at his feet, I also had the same feeling at the same time. So that's where the torque converter talk started.

Its frustrating to say the least. It didn't make this sound before?

Should I just replace the trans mounts and motor mounts, the car does have 160k on it. I don't see how they are still in good shape? But I hate spending hard earned cash fixing things that don't need it.

It's a long drive from you, but Surgeline will take as long as you give them to look at the car if you want to make a day or two trip up to Portland. They're $115/hr, if I recall.

It's possible that the engine and trans mounts are OK, also possible that the torque converter is OK as well. It's hard to say. 2200 RPM is around where the AVCS starts to kick in, so it's possible that mounts are worn out but not visibly so and you're getting vibration when the harmonics of everything are loudest. Your turbo heat shield could be off by a smidge, your turbo could be making a noise. I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps record a video of it and post it here?

I wouldn't just start doing engine mounts on this car, no way. It's a pain in the ass to do and even if you're the DIY type, you don't wanna be replacing them unless you know they're the culprit.

It's a long drive from you, but Surgeline will take as long as you give them to look at the car if you want to make a day or two trip up to Portland. They're $115/hr, if I recall.

It's possible that the engine and trans mounts are OK, also possible that the torque converter is OK as well. It's hard to say. 2200 RPM is around where the AVCS starts to kick in, so it's possible that mounts are worn out but not visibly so and you're getting vibration when the harmonics of everything are loudest. Your turbo heat shield could be off by a smidge, your turbo could be making a noise. I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps record a video of it and post it here?

I wouldn't just start doing engine mounts on this car, no way. It's a pain in the ass to do and even if you're the DIY type, you don't wanna be replacing them unless you know they're the culprit.

I agree it’s time for a couple hours of diagnostics. I setup shop time for next Tuesday and should hopefully have an answer. I might stick a GoPro under the hood and in a couple other places on the car this weekend. Driveline might be a problem as well. At this point I don’t want to load the money cannon with parts I don’t need. I’ll post the answer here when I get one.

I had a similar vibration that turned out to be mostly a torn rear upper control arm bushing, but I have found that at the age these cars are, almost nothing short of replacing every rubber component will completely get rid of most vibrations. Every part I changed made a small improvement but the two biggest were the front O2 sensor and the rear upper control arm bushings.

I still have a small amount of vibration around 2200 rpm, when the car is loaded around a corner, and a small amount of bucking when I let off the gas when in fifth gear (5eat), which I believe is motor mounts.

Hey man been busy as well, if you ever want some things out side of tuner work done I still highly recommend Pat's Import Auto clinic, he has been working on Subarus about as long as I have been alive.

His other tech is good as well , their prices are reasonable, and the honestly and pride in the work is like nothing so see at most shops.

Been taking my daily Subaru's there for ten years now

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hey man been busy as well, if you ever want some things out side of tuner work done I still highly recommend Pat's Import Auto clinic, he has been working on Subarus about as long as I have been alive.

His other tech is good as well , their prices are reasonable, and the honestly and pride in the work is like nothing so see at most shops.

Been taking my daily Subaru's there for ten years now

Worth mentioning pat will typically only install OEM parts

I had a similar vibration that turned out to be mostly a torn rear upper control arm bushing, but I have found that at the age these cars are, almost nothing short of replacing every rubber component will completely get rid of most vibrations. Every part I changed made a small improvement but the two biggest were the front O2 sensor and the rear upper control arm bushings.

I still have a small amount of vibration around 2200 rpm, when the car is loaded around a corner, and a small amount of bucking when I let off the gas when in fifth gear (5eat), which I believe is motor mounts.

Only symptoms I had with bad read upper control arm bushings were an absolutely maddening level of squeaks. They kept me from going over most bumps to keep my sanity!

Only symptoms I had with bad read upper control arm bushings were an absolutely maddening level of squeaks. They kept me from going over most bumps to keep my sanity!

Yeah, on one car I had the insane squeak but no vibration, and one car with no squeak and piles of vibration. The one with no squeak was torn much much worse than the one with the squeak, and never had any squeak the entire time it was vibrating.

So the verdict is that since it’s a 5eat tuned to pull hard it is just lugging too much driving around town. It defaults to around the 2k rpm range in normal traffic conditions, which is not what it wants to do.

Motor and trans mounts are good.

Axles and CV are good.

No suspension issues.

No trans issues.

Just need to use the manual mode more when I drive it. Full auto mode makes it lug along.

Dang I wish it was a 5 speed…. Not doing that without speciality Insurance on the car.

Can I upgrade to the paddle shifters on a 07 LGT, the steering wheel buttons kinda suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do the valve body upgrade? The 5EAT, even if tuned, should be tuned to not lug.
I need to explore this next. Digging everything about the stage 2 LGT except the 5EAT. Not into a manual swap for my needs/wants.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I need to explore this next. Digging everything about the stage 2 LGT except the 5EAT. Not into a manual swap for my needs/wants.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I've been in a couple of friends' cars with the valve body upgrade and the shifts are pretty snappy and the car feels a little happier to launch. I don't think it'll stop OP's car from lugging because it seems like the TCU programming needs some help from a tuner, but it'll feel more satisfying to drive for sure.

No TransGo valve body kit installed yet. I was quoted $800. Does that sound about right?

I will reach out to my tuner as well.

Sounds about right to me. You need to drop the transmission pan to install it.

I really want an H6 LEGACY , to be supercharged later. The sound is amazing.

The 5eat is a much better auto option than most in the price range but it's threads like these that keep me from ever pulling the trigger.

Ya know now that the late model WRX 6 speed swap has been proven it is a much cheaper option for a manual swap, could ditch that slug box and get a 6 speed for a lot less than the typical STI swap.

That being said unless you do the labor yourself , feel like it's going to get pricey converting from an auto.

Even my ex wife thought your car looked nice though, so might be worth it

I really want an H6 LEGACY , to be supercharged later. The sound is amazing.

The 5eat is a much better auto option than most in the price range but it's threads like these that keep me from ever pulling the trigger.

Ya know now that the late model WRX 6 speed swap has been proven it is a much cheaper option for a manual swap, could ditch that slug box and get a 6 speed for a lot less than the typical STI swap.

That being said unless you do the labor yourself , feel like it's going to get pricey converting from an auto.

Even my ex wife thought your car looked nice though, so might be worth it

I am going to live with it for now. I am at that point where I know a rebuild is on the horizon, adding a different trans and a rebuild I could be halfway to a different car. Its a tough call.

Dude, ex-wives are always like that. LOL

I had a similar vibration ended up being an unbalanced wheel. I figure one of the wheel weights fell off somtime between when the wheels came off last summer and when they went on this winter.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here