LegacyGT.com

GR STI vs 4th gen LGT

I have this long held regret that instead of buying 2nd LGT wagon back in 2008 (that I sold since) I did not buy a new GR generation STI hatchback. Back then I was too much of a wagon diehard and I did not like the look, the lack of frameless windows, etc, but over time the car grew on me and the hatchback format would make it perfect all around city car in snowy climates. Every time I see one I feel that regret.

Now, my 05 LGT wagon is basically an STI wagon: STI turbo with STI intake manifold, 08 STI transmission w/DCCD, R180 diff, Brembos. Obviously it would have been much much cheaper and simpler to buy the STI out of the dealer room... and the STI held the value incredibly well (not that I would be selling it if I bought it back then).

Any people around here that went from LGT to GR-era STI (or vice-versa) that have any comments about such a transition?

Edited by unclemat

The more I do to my outback to get it to be like my 05 sti the further apart the comparison between the two gets. When the mom-mobile became the dad-wagon, I was convinced that a bigger turbo, a 6 speed and some steering and suspension would make it feel real close but I was dead wrong. They are just two completely different cars that behave completely different. In the end it all comes down to preference, some people just LOVE these legacy’s and the luxury they have. Personally, I’d jump back into that sti at a moments notice given the chance. We borrowed it from the friend I sold it to when we went to visit back home and the family pretty much felt the same, but sadly he wasn’t interested in selling it. Oh well

05 STI (GD generation) is a completely different car... really different chassis, struts all around, and much edgier than GR. I probably could not live with it outside maybe track...

GR STI is essentially LGT hatch with updated rear suspension architecture (proper multilink vs the long trailing arm multilink setup LGT has).

Found some old discussion on the subject: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-vs-sti-thoughts-169570p3.html

Anyhow, finding a clean GR for decent money, especially these days, is unlikely, that ship has sailed. Although I imagine these cars will be only going up in value. And so will clean LGTs. Cars like that don't exist anymore...

a GR STI hatch is a unique car that does check alot of boxes, but nearly 10 years on since they stopped making it, its not really worth what people are asking for a good quality used one. are you noted, their value is hyper-inflated, and if you already have a LGT wagon with a full STI parts swap, then the question becomes moot since the LGT wagon is more practical. It really comes down to what you want the STI for. A daily, or a fun 2nd car mod platform. But even now there are better cars that are not much more expensive to do that to.

05 STI (GD generation) is a completely different car... really different chassis, struts all around, and much edgier than GR. I probably could not live with it outside maybe track...

GR STI is essentially LGT hatch with updated rear suspension architecture (proper multilink vs the long trailing arm multilink setup LGT has).

Found some old discussion on the subject: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-vs-sti-thoughts-169570p3.html

Anyhow, finding a clean GR for decent money, especially these days, is unlikely, that ship has sailed. Although I imagine these cars will be only going up in value. And so will clean LGTs. Cars like that don't exist anymore...

Yeah sorry, I was half asleep when I posted this this so it was kind of half a thought. The GR sti was pretty high up on our list and is actually what we were looking for for my wife when we ended up getting her the outback. We test drove a few of them but they were out of our preferred price range at the time. They pop up around here, sometimes unmolested for a decent price. I’d definitely jump into one.

Yeah, the thing is I don't need wagon anymore since I have other vehicles for hauling and family duty (a Tacoma and a Land Cruiser, two in fact).

So I want a car for daily duty, particularly in winter and a manual. LGT wagon is a fairly long (and yet manages to be narrow/cramped), so not an ideal city car. GR hatch would be an improvement this department. I also really got tired of LGT seats/seating position. Been a while since I sat in GR Impreza to remember if it was an improvement there, but I think it was.

I can't really think of any alternatives to STI hatch that would check AWD/manual/hatch boxes. Sure, VW Golf. I just don't like them.

Basically I am thinking about consolidating the LGT and BMW i3 I have into one car. The i3 was our city car (which I think this is the best car ever for), but now that we moved and need to cover longer distances on highway it is no longer the right tool for the job. Especially it sucks in winter even on winter tires.

So, this might sound strange but the logical conclusion for replacing the LGT wagon and BMW i3 is GR STI :) Hatch/manual/AWD. i3 is a manual alright, just 1-speed ;)

Edited by unclemat

AFAIK was never available in the US.

A friend of mine in Colorado has one. They're very uncommon but they exist.

The chassis differences between an STi and Legacy alone are enough to make you prefer one or the other. I like the WRX/STi but they're too harsh for a daily driver for my liking. Too much road noise, not enough sound deadening, interior materials are moderately to severely crappy, etc. The Legacy is about as fast and shares many parts, so it's a win-win for me.

I really should get an AWD EV for commuter duty.

The problem is all the current cars have driver driver hostile interface with shitty stupid touchscreens. Teslas are of course the worst offenders that started that stupid shit. VW ID.4 has some moronic slider for volume control. Who the **** does that? Mach-E... they glued a dial on the screen. Rly? :rolleyes: EV6 shows some promise, though it has too many touch buttons vs. physical buttons.

Unfortunately I am afraid the trend is here to stay. Touchscreen based interfaces are simply cheaper, save manufacturers money, yet gullible public loves it because "oh technology".

**** such technology.

/rant

Edited by unclemat

Indeed.

Plus none of these EVs really fall into category of "hot hatch", they are bit large... as long if not longer than a Legacy wagon.

I really wish BMW i4 was an enlarged i3 - little longer, little wider, still a hatch, AWD, with normal sized wheels and 200-250 miles range. Alas, that's not happening.

AFAIK was never available in the US.

correction- 6mt+quattro didnt come in the USDM, but the quattro did come with the DSG, so thats still pretty good. downpipe+ko4 turbo upgrade and tune and you have one heck of a daily with about 300whp

Edited by whitetiger

Yeah, but then I'd not dare to own an older VAG car for daily duty.

Subarus have their shortcomings, but I know the platform inside out.

I will probably sell i3, and hold on to the LGT longer.... see how the market looks like in a year or 2.

Edited by unclemat

i had the same mentality till I took the plunge on my '13 allroad. the car is tiptop right now after doing what amounts to a stage-2 tune and i don't miss my legacy or outback. older Subarus are just not comfortable enough anymore for DD duty.

i had the same mentality till I took the plunge on my '13 allroad. the car is tiptop right now after doing what amounts to a stage-2 tune and i don't miss my legacy or outback. older Subarus are just not comfortable enough anymore for DD duty.

I suppose. WFH and Covid skewed my perspective - most driving has been for pleasure. LGT might get old again in traffic. Modern cars and particularly EVs are rather relaxing in comparision...

I'm content in my ignorance. I love driving my 4th Gen wagon, I make up excuses to have to drive a couple hours for something just so I can drive. But, I also live in a town of 60k people and I can "drive" without getting stuck in traffic. There is most likely better out there, but I would have to pay for it and I'm happy with what I have (just need a 6mt, and a pile of other things, but I promise I'm happy just the way it is :lol:)

TN is probably a place to move to. Decent weather, no income tax and good driving roads when close to the mountains. Maybe in few years. I ******* hate winters in New England. And the effing salt. Driving season here is 6-7 months, the rest is misery.

Have you looked into the '12-'19 BMW F31s? I'm a smidge biased as I just picked one up recently, but damn do I really like this car as a DD.

No manual option but still AWD, fun to drive/handles well and the ZF8 is superb. Of course it's longer than the GR hatch but it's the last of the BMW wagons stateside so they should hold value decently well, at least the M Sport models. Performance wise I've added an intake, hard inlet, aluminum charge pipe and a "Stg1" tune on it and it's plenty quick. I'd say somewhere between a Stg1/Stg2 legacy but closer to Stg2. Eager to get a downpipe and up the tune for that.

I was specifically looking for an LCI model that has the B series engines that Toyota also uses. Aftermarket support should grow in the next few years or I figured if the engine ever goes I'd drop in the 6 cyl engine from the 340i's/Supra's.

audi A3 wagon 2.0T quattro 6mt comes to mind
Coming from VAG cars (last was Audi TT) just don't do it if you like to wrench on cars German cars are like pulling teeth compared to a Subaru.

Everything needs a special tool , minature hands and you have to be a contorsanist to get to everything.

I really do love some aspects of German cars , mostly how solid feeling everything is makes Subarus feel like tin cans , but man it's just not worth it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

unclemat, does it need to be an STI if you are looking for a commuter car? Regular Impreza hatch could be had with a stick still. Or you can go full in and do a 2.4DIT and 6spd swap in new Impreza - iirc there were couple of videos on Youtube with complete swaps.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

unclemat, does it need to be an STI if you are looking for a commuter car? Regular Impreza hatch could be had with a stick still. Or you can go full in and do a 2.4DIT and 6spd swap in new Impreza - iirc there were couple of videos on Youtube with complete swaps.

I'd instantly die of boredom and stress at the same time :lol: Nothing more soul sucking than a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder Subaru, including 1st gen BRZ (haven't driven 2nd gen yet). Powertrain swaps, been there done that... two times, probably one too many.

Life is too short to commute in boring cars :)

I was just musing what if I bought STI hatch back then, but alas did not happen, can't turn back time. Planning to sell the i3, return LGT to commuting duty for a year or two, then I will see...