LegacyGT.com

138K miles 3.6R rear suspension clunking noises over bumps

Hey all,

Been away for a few years :p. Legacy has been treating me well :)

Currently installed:

RCE blacks and RCE Bilsteins

Upgraded RSB and FSB

Perrin Endlinks

I hear clunking in the rear on driveways driving over uneven pavement.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? Would LCAs resolve this issue? I have a small camber issue in the rear that I have been living with for probably close to 100K miles.

Any other bushings I could replace because of wear and tear to stiffen-up things? Suspension still feels great.

I haven't made suspension changes other than what is mentioned above, which occurred at about 50K-60K miles.

Hey all,

Been away for a few years :p. Legacy has been treating me well :)

Currently installed:

RCE blacks and RCE Bilsteins

Upgraded RSB and FSB

Perrin Endlinks

I hear clunking in the rear on driveways driving over uneven pavement.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? Would LCAs resolve this issue? I have a small camber issue in the rear that I have been living with for probably close to 100K miles.

Any other bushings I could replace because of wear and tear to stiffen-up things? Suspension still feels great.

I haven't made suspension changes other than what is mentioned above, which occurred at about 50K-60K miles.

I definitely recommend proper diagnostic process. That said: if it is strictly uneven, then it probably the Swaybar bushings not the endlinks or the Swaybar’s them selves. Check the torque on the brackets for sure and then see if there is any difference with the sway bar installed vs uninstalled.

Saw this problem a lot on my Audi’s and it was almost always a 70$ set of bushings instead of all the other multiple expensive components you would never want to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also check the main bearings in the strut top hats. I had my front ones separate around the bearing and it caused very audible clunking.

The rear mounts do not have bearings. I would make sure the rear top hat bolt in the trunk are tight. Maybe it did not sit sit right when tighten or they forgot.

I had a truck that I bough used where the rear suspension had a clunk, I went to replace the rear shocks and found the person (likely mechanic) who replaced the shock previously had forgotten to tight the top 2 bolts. The shock bolts were rusted like it has been installed like that for 5+ years, apparently either no one complained or they couldn't figure it out. Simple fix for what likely very annoying for any driving the car.

Don't know if the spare tire is still in there but it will make a troubling sound if that hold down clamp isn't real snug.

Took me weeks to track mine down to that. :redface:

I'll second the RSB bushings being elongated.

I went and checked the spare. Of course it was a little loose. Thank you @DugsSin

Checking the top hat bolts and RSB bushings a bit later.

Just wanted to check in and see if you had any success with your diagnostic process?

I did not get a chance to swap the bushings yet. I have the bushings in-hand though. I tightened the rear tophat bolts and this resolved the issue. The bolts were a little loose. I'll still swap the bushings.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Sounds like good news to me. I wouldn’t disregard the replacement of the bushings if they seemed to need it; however, it does sound as if they are not yet failed. I’m glad you could resolve the noise concern without throwing the whole kitchen sink at it. Cheers