LegacyGT.com

Turbo 'vooop' noise

Ok, went to get car registered and realized I needed emission.... got a temp reg and went to emissions the computer wasnt ready cause I bought the car in April and its sat in my garage with the dead battery. From what I read it takes about 50 miles and some different driving conditions to get it in a state to be read, no problem.

Well .... on the way back from the emissions tests I got on it a little and the turbo is making all sorts of noises like a 'voooop' noise etc ... clear as day its the turbo.. no CEL however.

Any ideas what is wrong ?

Not sure what to do as I bought the car last April from NJ and drove ~150 miles home with no issues, I dont wanna bring it to dealer for 'analysis' as there is no CEL and just telling them the noise or letting them drive it they will knee jerk me a new turbo?

Thanks

Reags

Where do you live ?

Depending on what turbo is on the car, assuming its stock, maybe the intake silencer was removed under the air filter. If so the turbo will be a bit louder.

My vf52 is pretty loud when it spools.

Can you get a video of the engine and turbo running at idle ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

ugh, no good news here. Depending how bad the issue is. If metal shavings made it into intake that can be really bad news. If you are lucky then it just started scratching and nothing made it into the intake/cylinders.

Replacing the turbo alone can be $500-$1000 for used good turbo + labor. If the engine needs too be taken care of, it can be 4-5 times that depending how bad the damage is - i.e. how much needs to be replaced.

Try finding a decent Subaru shop around. Dealer will be happy to slap some new parts on it at your expense.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

1st thing anyone should do when they buy a turbo subaru is drop the downpipe and inspect the turbo for shaftplay! Especially if you are not familiar with how the car/turbo should normally sound. A rebuilt turbo costs about 600-700, and to rebuild a bad turbo is about 300-400.

Seems to me when you get a good deal on a turbo subaru something is about to go lol. Never trust a working subaru when your buying! Compression test, and inspection of the turbo for shaftplay are a must!

Edited by Tehnation

Went down the street and got one last ‘whistle’ then a grinding noise, limped her home and now wait for the shop to tell me $$ to fix. Any ideas on $$$ to replace turbo ?

I hope you took it to a Subaru or true performance shop that deals with turbo Subaru's or cars like such. Not the local shop that works of stock trucks and cars.