LegacyGT.com

Whats my car worth? looking for suggestions

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping I could get some thoughts and suggestions from my fellow legacy owners out there.

We just had our first kid and its time to get my wife a new car. We are likely going to buy an 2021 Outback XT limited. The predicament I'm in is, should I trade in my legacy GT or keep it and sell private party. I would love to keep my legacy and trade her car in, but my wife cant drive stick and we need both cars to be interchangeable between us both. Subaru offered me 6k to trade it in for, which is very generous offer that they are giving for reasons Ill put in a short blurp below (please read as this may impact price).

I am almost positive I can get a lot more for my car private party, but I wanted to get a realistic perspective from the community. It may just be easier to take a small loss for the convenience of giving it to a dealer.

Below are some details about the car. I have done very light and tasteful mods to my car which are all less than 15kmiles old. I truly have treated this car like my baby since the day I bought it. Never beat it, never raced it, never red-lined it, never off roaded with it. The only time I would get on the gas a bit was on the highway, but that was extremely minimal b/c Im a wimp and never wanted to beat on my car :lol:

Model: 2008 Legacy GT Limited

Condition: Very good but expected wear and tear for a 13 year old car.

Color: Bronze\Brown

Interior: cream leather, wood trim

Mileage: $92,000

Wheels: Enkei Low profile, Lightweight 18" RIMS (GREAT condition)

Repairs:

- ALL Subaru recommended regular maintenance

- Brakes replaced less than 8k miles ago

- New MAF sensor 4k miles ago

- Cylinder 3 ignition coil (2 weeks ago)

- Entire front dashboard replaced last year. This was a recall that they extended for me as the issue showed up later

Modification which are less than ~15k mile old: probably less

Pro-tune: completed by Tuning Alliance

Turbo: replaced with re-built VF52 that had less that 12k miles on it before rebuild. Polished, ported, ceramic coated and new billet wheel installed

Fuel injectors: 750cc DeatschWerk Injectors

Boost controler: Grimspeed

Intercooler: Grimspeed

Downpipe: Cobb

Uppipe: Invidia

Fuelpump: DeatschWerks 265 LPH Compact Fuel Pump

Mods older than 15k, These are all at the same time around 30-40k miles ago:

Struts: Konis

Springs: H&R

Top hat: Whiteline

Subaru story:

As you can see in the above recall I mentioned, Subaru replaced my dashboard. However, they did not put my VIN plate back and I did not realize this until I went to do my emissions (1 month ago) and I was unable to. Long story short, they are dealing with the problem with the DMV. I wont have a VIN plate anymore but there will be a special decal that DMV installs to take the place of the original VIN and some special document that you keep with the car. Something like that. They are trying to take care of me because of their F-up by giving me a good trade in and a decent deal on a new car either of which I can take or not take. They will buy my car, sell me a new one individually or both. I think they realize I can probably make this a big deal and want to offer a deal so I dont.

Edited by TCollazo

I believe that color is fairly rare.

What is the dealers price on the new car ? Are they offering the 2021 at a great price ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What is your time worth?

Depending on your location, I would guess you could probably sell for $8-9k if you are patient and don’t mind dealing with flaky buyers. You are taking a hit on the trade-in for convenience. That’s just basically how it works.

I believe that color is fairly rare.

What is the dealers price on the new car ? Are they offering the 2021 at a great price ?

Its 2021 Outback XT Limited with 6k miles that was the loaner car they gave me while they fix the VIN plate issue. I asked what they would sell it to me for and they said 36k even. They are also going to reset the warranty as if it was a brand new car purchase as well. I thought 36k was a decent offer but I'm working on getting them down to 35k, which would make me feel a bit better about not be able to chose exactly what I want (color, options etc). They dont have any outback on the lot or on the way either so I wouldn't be able to anyways.

What is your time worth?

Depending on your location, I would guess you could probably sell for $8-9k if you are patient and don’t mind dealing with flaky buyers. You are taking a hit on the trade-in for convenience. That’s just basically how it works.

This is good to hear. I was thinking 8k, but that's because I value my car pretty highly and think its "special" and "semi-rare", but everyone overvalues their vehicles even when they are crappy.

I personally dont mind taking my time selling it so that's prob what I will do. It would be great to have the extra cash to throw at a new car, but I'm fine not doing that and getting as much as I can for it.

Its 2021 Outback XT Limited with 6k miles that was the loaner car they gave me while they fix the VIN plate issue. I asked what they would sell it to me for and they said 36k even. They are also going to reset the warranty as if it was a brand new car purchase as well. I thought 36k was a decent offer but I'm working on getting them down to 35k, which would make me feel a bit better about not be able to chose exactly what I want (color, options etc). They dont have any outback on the lot or on the way either so I wouldn't be able to anyways.

This is not the best time to be buying a new car, small inventory, causes increased prices.

May be check out guys in the https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/gen-6-2020-future.233/ forum and see what they paid.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is not the best time to be buying a new car, small inventory, causes increased prices.

May be check out guys in the https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/gen-6-2020-future.233/ forum and see what they paid.

Its a great point you make. There are no cars anywhere and now more and more dealers are charging over MSRP. I actually asked the General Manager Im working with about all that and told me he's trying everything he can to not do that, but hes getting to a point where he might have to. They arent getting enough inventory to make enough profit to cover cost. Hes not quite there, but was super transparent.

He could sell this used outback for 39,650. Thats what it would go on the lot for and we agreed on $35,500 and hes resetting the bumper to bumper to 3 year 36k miles, giving me a 7 year 100k power train for free and said he would only charge me $1,100 for the B2B 7 year 100k warranty. He is actually giving me a pretty good deal and trying to make their F-up right. Its not like an amazing, blow my socks off deal, but considering the car buying environment, I think its pretty generous. I coul dbe wrong. Hard to know what to compare a "good deal" to these days.

so they ruined your car and offered you chump change on trade in value against a dealer mark up'd used car?

they are going to sell yours for 15k or so. Brown manual with low mileage is rare.

I'd be contacting subaru corporate/ an attorney to get the dash fixed correctly. The dealership branded your car changing its value. Paying for the mistake shouldn't be your problem.

take it to carmax or similar place. or just type in the vin number in carmax.com and fill out the info. takes a few minutes. ignore the dash problem (cause dealership has to fix). The offer is good for 7 days. You can use that number to get a starting price.

Think if it this was they give you 6, you get the car for 35 rather than 36. You're basically at 7.

Is your time really worth trying to squeeze another grand or two out of it???

Ask them to sweeten the pot on the new car. Ask for accessories to be included like tint, etc at no cost to you. Or even dealer maintenance package for the next 2-3years. Something thats of value.

Just trade it in.

To be completely honest you have to seperate any attachments to the car and be done with it

To play devil's advocate. So do you have to buy new?

Having a car without a payment is quite nice. Your exspenses will go up with the new car along with the costs of your child. If you're that concerned about an automatic car then sell yours private party and buy something outright with the money you get back. Worry about a 'bigger' vehicle when your child gets older. Just my .02

• 3 weeks later...

There is only a few manual legacy GT wagon or otherwise for sale in Oregon, one is heavily modded but no engine internals high milage started at 9k done to like 7500 last I looked

One cherry wagon like 14k

With the way the used car market is might consider taking it to a small used car lot that sells for a fee or commission.

I have done this with my last few cars and got far about market value even after the commission.

Also these legacy's are still a bit cheaper than a similar WRX and have a weird cult following.

Start high

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk