LegacyGT.com

P0028 CEL came back

Three years ago I was randomly getting P0028 CEL with the other associated lights (steady lit traction control, blinking cruise control, and steady lit brake light). Happened over a span of a couple months where it would go on and then randomly go away, then come back again. I changed my oil and it went away.

I'm 6600 miles on my Royal Purple oil right now. I typically do 7500 to 10k mile changes. Today I started getting P0028 again with the same lights. Autozone also has on my printout C0057 and C0042. Their recommendation is "replace variable camshaft timing (VCT) solenoid" based on the printout.

I'm around 133k miles.

Your thoughts?

my thoughts? change your oil.

is your level low? are you using the correct viscosity? if an oil change temporarily fixed it previously that's the very first place i would start. if it doesn't then you're looking at deeper diagnosis.

I looked in the service manual at the diagnostic flow chart for P0028, it basically has you check the wiring for continuity, ground, and power. If those check out, change the VVT solenoid (or whatever Subaru calls it) If that doesn't work it say to clean out the oil passage, you have a big problem, if that is the case.

I popped the hood and noticed 1 of 2 of the engine air filter clips were popped off and the engine air filter was a little off. It looked a little dirtier than usual for only 10k miles on it. My maintenance schedule is 20k for them. I replaced it and tightened the clips.

I checked the oil and it was at the correct level. I never burn or lose oil. I will replace the oil tomorrow or this weekend and see if that gets rid of the CEL.

Update, the CEL went off after replacing the air filter that wasn't secured in the housing properly. I'll still do an oil change but remember three years ago I used a K&N style air filter and changed that to a normal one when I did the oil and had this same issue. It could just be that this car doesn't like too much airlfow?

I'll still do an oil change but remember three years ago I used a K&N style air filter and changed that to a normal one when I did the oil and had this same issue. It could just be that this car doesn't like too much airlfow?

I had a K&N air filter on my Legacy for around a year before I sold it, and it never gave me any issues...