LegacyGT.com

HEPA Cabin Air Filter

Hi guys,

The cabin air filter in our cars works pretty well. But even the best versions only filter down to 5 microns which isn't enough for the 2.5 micron wildfire smoke we are having again this year out west.

Has anyone come up with a good solution for a better cabin air filter?

Bosch makes HEPA filters for many cars just not the 4th Gens.

I might have to cut up a 3M - 2800 filter that I buy at Lowes? I will post results if I do.

Anyway, let me know if there is an option I have missed?

Thanks everyone!

You could always wear a N95 mask when you drive.

I can kind of understand about the smoke out there, we have seen some of it here in CT.

Hopefully the fires and smoke will not be a problem much longer.

In my Spec B, I used a blue and white furnace filter material. I should check it again, it's been in there since 2011. My wagon never had the filter from the factory.

Remember those of us old guy's never had those filters in cars growing up...how did we every survive...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Fellow west coaster, and it seems this ferocious smoke will be a regular if not soon-to-be year round occurrence. I ran this filter for awhile and it was great, however did not have it up during fire season(s). Pricey, yes, but the claim is a very high filtration. *not personally affiliated w brand or vendor, just vouching for quality.

https://www.edoperformance.com/products/zero-sports-car-air-conditioner-carbon-filter-subaru-legacy-gt

You could always wear a N95 mask when you drive.

I can kind of understand about the smoke out there, we have seen some of it here in CT.

Hopefully the fires and smoke will not be a problem much longer.

In my Spec B, I used a blue and white furnace filter material. I should check it again, it's been in there since 2011. My wagon never had the filter from the factory.

Remember those of us old guy's never had those filters in cars growing up...how did we every survive...

I had to put one on in the car the other day driving to Eugene over the mountains where the fires are. AQI was above 800ppm and nothing was going to stop it from smelling bad in the car.

This is the first car I have owned that has a cabin air filter in it so I remember the days without them.

Fellow west coaster, and it seems this ferocious smoke will be a regular if not soon-to-be year round occurrence. I ran this filter for awhile and it was great, however did not have it up during fire season(s). Pricey, yes, but the claim is a very high filtration. *not personally affiliated w brand or vendor, just vouching for quality.

https://www.edoperformance.com/products/zero-sports-car-air-conditioner-carbon-filter-subaru-legacy-gt

Wow, yeah that's a lot at $47 plus shipping. But also it sounds tempting due to function being so high.

I think I will try to cut up a HEPA filter and stuff it in there first. If that's a no go I will order one of these.

I have to admit that I’ve never changed the cabin filter in my ‘05 or ‘08. Never really thought much about it and heard it was a bitch to replace. With the move to Bend now too it has me rethinking! Are these really that hard to replace? Mines probably black!

I just changed the cabin filter of my daily driver for the first time in 7 years. I cut up an old furnace filter and put the media inside the old filter frames like Max suggested. Before that one the original was there for nearly 10 years. The AC works MUCH better with the new filter.

I have been much better changing the filter in my wife's 2012 OB 3.6R and still can tell when it needs replaced.

Edited by Trav1s

I have to admit that I’ve never changed the cabin filter in my ‘05 or ‘08. Never really thought much about it and heard it was a bitch to replace. With the move to Bend now too it has me rethinking! Are these really that hard to replace? Mines probably black!

Nah, it's not that hard. I did it on both my 05 and 06. Probably takes 15-30mn max.

When I bought my 06 in 2014, it had a filter and it was FILTHY! The 05 did not have one. I put one in.

You gotta take out a bit of the center console area (radio stays in place), the cupholders, the lower part of the dash, the part of the right side of the dash that meets with your door, and then some gubbins in the glovebox. It's not really super hard, just stupid difficult for a cabin filter.

Huh. I don't remember removing the center console stuff. I remember removing the glove box, and a few trims around it. Then I was able to pull the filter tray out. Not a lot of space, that's for sure. I believe some years are easier than others though.

Watched a video today for the ‘08, looks like no center console pull needed and yup gotta go ahead and do this. Can’t say I will on my ‘05 track car as it’s always a bit dusty from the track and the AC was pulled long ago

You gotta take out a bit of the center console area (radio stays in place), the cupholders, the lower part of the dash, the part of the right side of the dash that meets with your door, and then some gubbins in the glovebox. It's not really super hard, just stupid difficult for a cabin filter.

I'm fairly sure I just had to remove my glovebox, nothing more to replace mine.

(I need to do it again, been a couple years)

05's and maybe some early 06's, it's a PITA to get that filter, you can buy the retro fit kit which the later cars came with.

Also, some of the early 05's, mine is the 194th one built, came without a filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here