LegacyGT.com

Alternator/Crank pulley mileage

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i here with 97,500 miles.

I've read that it's never a bad idea to replace an alternator at around 100k miles, but I've also read here that Subaru alternators can last "a very, very long time."

Thoughts? Also I've read on this forum that Duralast are really good alternators, but they don't make new ones for my Subaru. Any thoughts on the next best kind? Or get remanufactured?

Lastly any thoughts on when the Crank Pulley should be replaced? Should I just wait for the tell-tale signs of the pulley (or related engine parts) to go bad, like misfiring or rattling noises or vibrations?

Thanks!

Is the alternator giving you signs of end of life? Not many of us just replace parts for the sake of doing so. If you are dealing with charging issues, etc then yes.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that there is a constant "whizzing" sound coming from the alternator, kind of like a loud bug, rather than a "grinding" noise. I've read somewhere that this is normal? It just has me worried a bit.

I think some when you looking at the engine, you sometimes become hyper sensitive. I am mechanically inclined, earlier this year I was selling my GF car and somebody said her engine had a ticks in it. I had never noticed and question myself if it did, after the guy left. I realized it was just injectors ticking. My 2.5i OB and Legacy GT make the same noises.