LegacyGT.com

21 Legacy Touring XT - Lane centering still ping pongs.

New member here....We traded in our '18 Outback for a '21 Legacy and love it. Our problem is the new feature now called Lane Centering under Adaptive Cruise Control... it ping pongs just like the older Outback (I think it was called Lane Assist):confused:. I thought this would have been corrected since they changed the terminology. From a brief scan online, it seems there are many complaints about the Subaru snaking its way down the road from one lane strip to the other, not to mention it wanting to snuggle up next to semi's in the next lane. The constant need to tug against these tendencies cause fatigue on long road trips. Anyone else having this issue? We have a service appointment in two weeks for the dealer to look into this.

New member here....We traded in our '18 Outback for a '21 Legacy and love it. Our problem is the new feature now called Lane Centering under Adaptive Cruise Control... it ping pongs just like the older Outback (I think it was called Lane Assist):confused:. I thought this would have been corrected since they changed the terminology. From a brief scan online, it seems there are many complaints about the Subaru snaking its way down the road from one lane strip to the other, not to mention it wanting to snuggle up next to semi's in the next lane. The constant need to tug against these tendencies cause fatigue on long road trips. Anyone else having this issue? We have a service appointment in two weeks for the dealer to look into this.

It's possible you could benefit from a calibration of your EyeSight system at the dealership. I have heard that it helps in some cases. If I fight mine, it ping pongs, but if I loosen my grip a little, it centers and follows the road nicely.

'21 Limited XT

Subaru Ambassador since 2015

It's possible you could benefit from a calibration of your EyeSight system at the dealership. I have heard that it helps in some cases. If I fight mine, it ping pongs, but if I loosen my grip a little, it centers and follows the road nicely.
I forgot to mention earlier that mine ping-ponged a lot when I used to use it on non-highway roads. It was explained to me during my Encore visit that the lane centering is only meant to be used on interstates with their wider lanes and larger radius turns. Now that I only use it on highways and I don't fight it so much, the car is much better at centering in the lane.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

'21 Limited XT

Subaru Ambassador since 2015

I had a '19 Legacy and never use the lane assist because it was really aggressive and overcorrected too much when trying to stay centered. Even on highways.

I now have a '21 Tour XT and I have to say I love it compared to the '19. I use it extensively on highways and even on some highways that have plenty of turns it works well for me. Now I have the Cruise Control setting to "Dynamic" so I don't know if that matters.

I will say that my wife has a '21 Ascent and hers is as bad as my '19 Legacy. I can only use hers on highways that are pretty straight. When trying it on one that goes through mountains/hills it's too "bouncy" to use comfortably.