LegacyGT.com

Buzzing noise 50-60mph

does the sound change under load or when cornering sharply from side to side?

My initial thought with no other info would be wheel bearing, very common failure on these cars. It will make a "humming" noise when a wheel bearing goes bad. When cornering the sound will get less or worse depending on which side of the car the bearing is on in relation to which way you're turning. IE: taking a sharp left throws more weight onto the right side of the car, so if the noise gets louder when sharply turning to the left it's more than likely a bad bearing on the right side, and if the noise almost goes away then you know it's on the opposite side.

Actually its most often heard going straight. If you drop below 50 or go above 60 it disappears. I wanted to assume wheel bearing, but the sound is faint inside the car, it is very present at those speeds. It does not change while turning either.

Im really hard pressed to isolate this thing. Its a lawn mower type drone, just constant.

Edited by subaruleg

This sounds just like the issue I’m having right now. Mine seems to be from 40-60 mph give or take. No noticeable change during acceleration or deceleration. Thought might be rear diff so I changed out the gear oil. Came out nice and clean. Magnet had fine metallic mush on it as expected from wear. No change in sound after new gear oil. None of the wheel bearings felt loose doing the push/pull test on the tires. Spinning the wheels by hand showed no noticeable difference either. Since the sound is barely noticeable over my exhaust I would bring it up to speed put in neutral (5eat) shut off engine and coast. I find no noticeable change from left to right doing a slow swerve. Only thing is I feel that the sound is more to the front with the motor off. When it’s running I feel its more to the rear.

just turn up your music and enjoy the car hahah :lol: My 06 LGT makes noises also. I check things out often and see nothing wrong. It's just noise. I know your might be something so I hope you fine it. The age of these cars makes them sound and make weird noises.

Could also be some plastic panel such as engine undertray, front/rear bumper ears flapping in the wind. see these cars sometimes on the road when air pressure pushes ends of bumper skins out, or some plastic panel under the car is vibrating.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

The plastics idea is a creative thought. Ide want to think that slowing or speeding might allow it to slap around more or less.

Its almost a hummming noise. Im not sure I can get the phone to capture it. Ill try other gears(auto) and see if any noise changes. The sound isn't harsh or violent, its not what ide think of for a failing part, its certainly not normal though.

Grab the propeller shaft near the carrier bearing and see how much play it has, a little is ok.

Can you fell anything when you rest your right elbow on the center consul ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here