LegacyGT.com

What does this connect to?

Hi folks,

I removed the front bumper on my son's 2017 Legacy to fix some dents. I found this open connector on the driver's side. What does it connect to? The car runs fine and all of the lights and other electricals are working normally as well. Thanks for any insights.

Best wishes,

AC

IMG_7775.thumb.jpg.13114533d627866f7fbd25ea78a904cf.jpg

Intercooler sprayer.

Thanks! Is this a problem to resolve? Do all trim levels have the sprayer? What does it do? Is it needed for both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines? Mine is 4 cyl.

Thanks! Is this a problem to resolve? Do all trim levels have the sprayer? What does it do? Is it needed for both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines? Mine is 4 cyl.

OK, I looked it up and the sprayer is only needed in models with the turbocharged engine, and even then appears to be an option. Why is this wiring installed in a base 2.5L engine car? In any case, it's a relief to know that nothing is wrong with my car.

Could it be for the grille shutter?

informenter-marker-1.png

That's interesting! I would have guessed that active grille shutters would be found only in high-end cars, but I would be wrong! 2017 Legacy 2.5i cars have the active shutters that close for improved fuel economy at highway speeds.

https://drive.subaru.com/sum16-legacy-fuel-economy

The connector appears to be on the driver's side, so this seems more plausible than the intercooler sprayer.

http://www.sulegacy.com/removal-1762.html

If the shutter was disconnected (and inactivated) in a previous repair, it probably doesn't affect performance much. Except that I hope it is stuck in the open position to allow maximum cooling for daily in-town driving. I hope I can spot this without having to take the bumper off again.

Edited by comotiger

I found this open connector on the driver's side. What does it connect to? The car runs fine and all of the lights and other electricals are working normally as well.

Seeing how short that wire loom is between the plug & the piece of black PVC tape, it has to be somewhere close to that plug. My first thought was it was either for the front or the rear washer motor.

I’ve got a photo of our previous 2016 Liberty 3.6R in that area & it shows a grey plug with a green & a brown wire that isn’t connected. But our Aussie spec cars are wired different to the US cars & have some different features. Compared to my Liberty photo, the wiring in the photo you posted looks somewhat messy – has someone re-hashed & taped it up, or is that how the US Legacys are? If it has been re-hashed & taped up, that plug could be in the wrong location.

I had a look in the 2015 Outback/Legacy FSM for anything I could find in that LHS area with the following results (where a wire colour has a slash [e.g. G/B], the first colour is the main colour & the second colour is a stripe):

(1). Active grill shutter wire colours (only on the 2.5i); red/black (R/B), white (W) & black (B).

(2). Front washer motor wire colours; green/black (G/B) & brown/red (BR/R).

(3). Rear washer motor wire colours; brown (BR) & green (G).

(4). Front LH fog light wire colours; With SRF = black (B) & red/yellow (R/Y). Without SRF = black (B) & red/blue (R/L).

(5). Horn LH wire colour: black/red (B/R).

(6). Front LH turn signal wire colours; black/green (B/G) & black (B).

(7). There is also a bulkhead wiring connector somewhere in that area but it only shows a single black wire in a 4-pole connector. This could be tied into the radiator fan circuit.

I’ve attached a cropped & size reduced photo of a gen5 Outback (similar to gen6 Legacy) I grabbed some time ago from the subaruoutback.org forum (can’t remember who posted it) & it shows two grey connectors in that area. They appear to go to the front washer motor & the rear washer motor.

Edit: After downloading your photo & zooming in I'm now fairly certain that connector is for the rear washer pump motor that the Legacy doesn't have (if it was fitted it would be fitted to the washer bottle in the area directly behind & above that connector). On my Liberty photo & also on the Outback photo I attached it shows a pump motor in that location. On my Liberty the second pump is for the headlight washers that the North American vehicles don’t have, & on the attached Outback photo the second pump is for the rear hatch window washer which the Legacy & Liberty don't have.

gen5-Outback_front-LHS_2.thumb.jpg.3aebc9185f0f1d19dc8cd37b349b2487.jpg

Gen5 Outback front left side

Edited by XT-sub
More information added at the edit.

Intercollegiate sprayer was a joke BUT I bet all legacy get the same harness, regardless of trim level and options selected. I would ignore it.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Seeing how short that wire loom is between the plug & the piece of black PVC tape, it has to be somewhere close to that plug. My first thought was it was either for the front or the rear washer motor.

I’ve got a photo of our previous 2016 Liberty 3.6R in that area & it shows a grey plug with a green & a brown wire that isn’t connected. But our Aussie spec cars are wired different to the US cars & have some different features. Compared to my Liberty photo, the wiring in the photo you posted looks somewhat messy – has someone re-hashed & taped it up, or is that how the US Legacys are? If it has been re-hashed & taped up, that plug could be in the wrong location.

Yes, the tape on many of the wires was wearing out and beat up. The car had a left front accident when very new (<4000 miles) that had been fixed. So a lot of the re-taping could reflect the repair work. Everything runs like a charm so I am not concerned by the worn wiring. I did re-tape some of the bundles before re-installing the bumper.

I’ve attached a cropped & size reduced photo of a gen5 Outback (similar to gen6 Legacy) I grabbed some time ago from the subaruoutback.org forum (can’t remember who posted it) & it shows two grey connectors in that area. They appear to go to the front washer motor & the rear washer motor.

Edit: After downloading your photo & zooming in I'm now fairly certain that connector is for the rear washer pump motor that the Legacy doesn't have (if it was fitted it would be fitted to the washer bottle in the area directly behind & above that connector). On my Liberty photo & also on the Outback photo I attached it shows a pump motor in that location. On my Liberty the second pump is for the headlight washers that the North American vehicles don’t have, & on the attached Outback photo the second pump is for the rear hatch window washer which the Legacy & Liberty don't have.

[ATTACH]292513[/ATTACH]

Gen5 Outback front left side

Your descriptions and photo also convince me that the connector is for the rear washer. It's right next to (below) the washer reservoir. Thanks, XT-sub!

I still need to check out if the active grille shutters are open on my car. That motor and connecting wire shows up very nicely in your photo.

I would have guessed that active grille shutters would be found only in high-end cars, but I would be wrong! 2017 Legacy 2.5i cars have the active shutters that close for improved fuel economy at highway speeds.

FWIW, all MY 2015-2019 Legacys and Outbacks with the 2.5 H4 engine have the AGAS shutters; the 3.6 H6 models do not. The AGAS shutters are always closed 1) at temperatures below 37 degrees F, and 2) at road speeds above ~40 mph. Outside of those two conditions they may be open or closed, their position dynamically controlled by the ECM based on ambient temperature, coolant temperature, and road speed. (Source: Subaru tech training materials.)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

fog lights, even if you do not have fog lights (base model) wiring is still there

ambient temperature sensor could be another possibility, maybe you can check the reading on your dash

Edited by aki334

ambient temperature sensor could be another possibility ...

The ambient temperature sensor is on the other side of the car.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

fog lights, even if you do not have fog lights (base model) wiring is still there

ambient temperature sensor could be another possibility, maybe you can check the reading on your dash

My car has fog lights and they work fine. The vertically hanging wire with the just-visible brown connector in my photo is for the fog light.

The ambient temp readings seem fine.

I am pretty sure it's for the rear washer not found in the Legacy.

that is gray connector b147 = rear washer motor 100%

connector b44 is for horn LH and that is right above the b147 connector

so leave it hanging

reference: WI-468 and WI-469 from OEM repair manual or pages 7318 and 7319 from pdf

I do not know if outbacks have rear wiper, so they are probably using same wiring for outbacks and legacies, just wild guess

Pm me for info where to send me 6 pack :)

Edited by aki334

Bad luck, you are a few days too late. :) It was sorted out here.

I do not know if outbacks have rear wiper, ...

The answer to that is in my same post. ;)

Bad luck, you are a few days too late. :) It was sorted out

Both of you have been a great help! Thank you! To celebrate, I bought a 6 pack and drank it all :p

I do not know if outbacks have rear wiper, so they are probably using same wiring for outbacks and legacies, just wild guess

My outback has one, but it's European spec.

However I wouldn't be surprised if all have it since it's pretty much a standard feature today even though a reverse camera washer would make more sense today. Something I have seen on recent models.

453747.png