LegacyGT.com

Scratched rear main replacing seal.

Hi all, new to the forums. :)

I was replacing the rear main on my Legacy with a Lisle seal puller.

After trying and trying to get it out, I finally do, but not without some battle scars. (ended up using the wood-screw and hammer fulcrum method)

I'm not 100% sure how a rear main functions, but if the scratches are between the first and second sealing ring, am I in the clear?

As I've heard, if you scratch it past the second innermost ring, you're kinda SOL.

Here are some pictures of the worst damage:

IMG-3621-2-Copy.jpg

IMG-3616-2-Copy.jpg

Is there anything I can do to lessen the damage before I go putting my engine back in? I would be so bummed if it leaked after putting all this work into it. I've heard of using SKF Speedi-Sleeves and emery cloths to aid in these sorts of repairs.

Does anyone have experience with using these- would they even be applicable? :confused:

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by oilbandit77

Oof... I did the same thing on a crank seal once. There was a cast lip on the block that wouldn't allow me to get the seal puller in, so I used a wood screw like you did. The scratch was barely noticeable and I sanded it down with very fine sand paper, but a couple weeks later it ended up turning into the biggest oil leak I've ever seen on an engine. Like 1qt loss in 10 minutes of driving. Ended up using a speedi-sleeve to fix it.

Those scratches look worse that mine were. Considering how much effort it takes to get to that seal, I personally wouldn't risk it unless pulling the engine back out isn't a big deal to you.

I did mine with a screw and vice grips like this :

I didn't even pre drill, just went in with a sharp screw.

Careful not to go too deep, I made a small mark because by screw bottomed out, didn't give me any trouble though.

Considering how much effort it takes to get to that seal, I personally wouldn't risk it unless pulling the engine back out isn't a big deal to you.
I agree - I'd use a sleeve as well.

So the scratches are just at the outer edge of the sealing surface? If they go all the way across the flange, would you need to fill them with something, or maybe sand them smooth so the sleeve can seal?

If they go all the way across the flange, would you need to fill them with something, or maybe sand them smooth so the sleeve can seal?

Wouldn't hurt to use a Loctite 600 series retaining compound. There's different flavors for different applications.