LegacyGT.com

Shell Rotella t6 $109 for 5 gallon

This is from a post over on subaruoutback.org

I know a bunch of you use it.

"FYI Napa has the 5 gallon pail of t6 on sale for $110 right now. Comes out to $119 with taxes.

Shell is giving out $35 rebates on 5 gallon pail currently as well. Napa is a participating vendor. You do the math."

Found this

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SCA550046217

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

T6 isn't the magic juice everyone got a boner for 10+ years ago. It's been reformulated to meet the current EPA standards (just like all the other oils at the parts store) and doesn't have as much extra zinc and phosphorus and other slippery additives anymore.

It's more important to have oil in the engine than what type it is.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

any quality synthetic oil of the right weight will be enough as long as you keep a good OCI for turbo cars. T6 is good cause its cheap, heat resistant, and 5w-40 instead of 5w-30. the 40 weight is good for cars that are higher mileage and have increase clearances from wear, which is now most if not all turbo EJ motors. I put it in my EZ36 too. thats all the magic juice you will ever need.

i added ZDDP to my oil. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/advice/car-maintenance/zddp-motor-oil-additive-engine-oil-additives-that-work

But only when didn't have access to my stash of old turbo diesel engine oil. I'm running out, so looking for a replacement.

Me too, so I'm looking. Current T6 with Zinc additive? Or? Since I'm not driving her often, I'll spend extra money if it will make a diff!

FWIW, some know, others may not, I have been using https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf

Since 2012, I change the oil and their EA 15K 13 between 7000-8000 miles after hearing back from a simple I sent in at 7000 miles to Blackstone Labs.

My ej257 shortblock has over 140,000 miles on it and that engine has none of the normal Subaru ej noises. The bearings are still quiet.

I do see the cost has risen this year, when I started using this, I was paying just of $5.25 a qt. for the 5w-40 with the black label, the name has changed a couple of times over the years, but the label has remained black. It's also the lowest price in this formulation.

I buy it by the case.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Doesn't really matter what you use. You'll never find a failure where you could say that wouldn't have happened if I had different oil in there...

I use Royal Purple HPS oils in my customer cars. Not sold in regular stores. Not EPA approved.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I was using amsoil 10-40 XL in my OBXT for the past year. Started with 5-30 XL but switched due to "extreme" heat down here in south Texas. 10-40 did make the valvetrain much quieter, but I still change at ~3500mi because I notice the valvetrain noise starts to ramp up again when the viscosity starts the break down. The 10-40 still comes out like water, even from a cold engine. Doing more city driving than I used to so don't think I'll push much past 3500 per change. Only 2k into my first fill with the T6 so we'll see when the noise starts to come around again.

Here is the rebate link. Looks like the 5 gallon pail is now good for a $40 rebate!

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/promos-loyalty-rewards/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/save-with-a-rebate.html

Edit: Napa is no longer a participating retailer. Check the retailer list on the above list if you want the rebate...

Edited by shandalo

I already did this when oil conversations came up in the 'What did you do to your 4th gen today' thread...

Just cause I like seeing everyone's panties get in a wad. Walmart SuperTech for me cause my engine burns too much to spend a cent more.

I am sure when I throw a new engine in the old gal, I'll put in something half decent

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Here is the rebate link. Looks like the 5 gallon pail is now good for a $40 rebate!

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/promos-loyalty-rewards/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/save-with-a-rebate.html

Edit: Napa is no longer a participating retailer. Check the retailer list on the above list if you want the rebate...

I poked around the Shell site last night and came to the same conclusion. No coupon if you buy from Napa.

I also did the math and this particular deal saves you $0.30/gallon (after 6% sales tax in VA) instead of buying it from Walmart 1 gallon at a time. Definitely not worth the hassle of dealing with a huge, heavy bucket of oil. I would happily pay $1.50 to not have to have that space taken up.

Not directly related to the subject but afaik in EDM our cars are set to run 10w30 oils.

To rant a little:

Fuel economy targets by EPA in US force companies to do some stupid stuff such as specifying very low viscosity oils such as 0w20 for new cars, or loosening clearances in piston rings to lower friction, or both. All in name of "green environment". How burning a quart of oil per 1k miles being normal for many new high-end engines correlates with caring for environment is unclear to me.

I am not surprised that our engines run quieter with 10w oils, 5 is likely not most optimal. But it probably adds 1/2 mile to range figures in the lab testing so yeah.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Ive run 15w40 turbo diesel oil since my rebuild. When it was rebuilt a couple years ago, the shop put the 5w30 lusted on the oil filler cap. Much noiser but more free-revving. Its due for an oil change. Been debating using the last of my turbo diesel or looking for something else. The engine still has the race tune on it, and it's never going to be a dd again.